Would there be issue with waiting 24 hours after mash to boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inmytree

Reaction score
I know that it is key to pitch ASAP after boil... and I would still be doing that. The 24 hour lag would just be between the mash and boil. The reason I ask whether there would be any concerns with this is because with my busy schedule it would be nice to be able to do half the brewing after work one night and then finish up the second half starting with the boil the next night. Anyone know whether there could be a problem with this?

Not really. Some of us here have mashed overnight and had success, although I don't know if the grain bill matters in this pr not.

If you are planning to mash and drain then let the wort sit overnight (i.e. no overnight grain contact) you will be fine as long as it is covered. No need to worry about keeping the gs sanitized until after the boil. Let us know how you make out!

You've created a very nutrient rich environment, so you would need to keep it sanitary. Boiling after or not, it is possible to get some bugs that start to chew on the sugars and create an off flavor, which could stay behind after the boil.

One of the few beers I have ruined was because I mashed and left it over night before boiling. It is a great incubator, and you have lots of bugs from the grain. If you leave the wort for a day, you need to at least pasteurize it. Just bring it to about 160+ F, cover and let cool, and you should be OK.

Thanks for the info guys. After hearing your thoughts in thinking I won't take a chance with leaving the wort overnight and instead just find some faster methods for evening brewing (such as BIAB, shorter mash, or shorter boil).

Latest posts

Back