Would it float?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
In my last brew session, I broke my 6.5 gallon carboy - fortunately only water in it and no blood was released. I am getting ready to order the replacement and I'm leaning towards the 6 gal. better bottle. However, I have one question that may tip the decission and I'm hoping someone here can answer it for me.

I use a Igloo Ice Cube with enough water in it to go 2/3 the way up the carboy to keep my fermentation temp stable (a little dilligence and I can hold +/- 1degree). I am wondering if a better bottle is going to try to float in the water and make my temp control a bit more difficult. Anyone have a better bottle and cooler setup like I'm looking at?

In my last brew session, I broke my 6.5 gallon carboy - fortunately only water in it and no blood was released. I am getting ready to order the replacement and I'm leaning towards the 6 gal. better bottle. However, I have one question that may tip the decission and I'm hoping someone here can answer it for me.

I use a Igloo Ice Cube with enough water in it to go 2/3 the way up the carboy to keep my fermentation temp stable (a little dilligence and I can hold +/- 1degree). I am wondering if a better bottle is going to try to float in the water and make my temp control a bit more difficult. Anyone have a better bottle and cooler setup like I'm looking at?

Is the water going to be higher than the wort in the bottle?

If the weight of the wort and bottle is greater then the weight of the displaced water, then it won't float.

You might not be able to fill it as much as with the glass carboy due to the weight of the carboy. But, you should still be able to get plenty of water over it to keep things stable. Of course, you could also rig up some straps, or use tape, to hold the carboy down if it tries to lift before you have the water level where you want it. :D

If the weight of the wort and bottle is greater then the weight of the displaced water, then it won't float.

I believe that the plastic is lighter than water so the weight of the wert needs to offset the boyancy of the plastic. That's where the question comes in - would it?

No worries on the light beer - I'm a middle weight brewer (or at least my beers are) :cross:

Factor in the weight of the carboy with the wort in it. Then figure out the weight of the water that is going to be displaced by the volume taken up by the carboy. If the carboy is heavier, it will not float.

Basically, the thing will float at some point around the spot where the water meets the level of the wort. But the wort should be a bit heavier than the water, so it should be ok. The plastic is thin and light enough that I doubt it will affect anything much, either in weight, or displacement.

It all depends on the wort's FG. Water SG is 1.000. If your FG is higher than that, you will be able to get the water level pretty much up to the wort's level, without the carboy floating. If the wort FG is lower than 1.000, it'll float at some point. The plastic in the carboy has a low SG, but the volume of plastic is very small, compared to the wort's volume, so it shouldn't make much of a difference.

I believe that the plastic is lighter than water so the weight of the wert needs to offset the boyancy of the plastic. That's where the question comes in - would it?

That's why I said "weight of the wort and bottle"

And it doesn't need to offset the buoyancy of the plastic was much as volume inside the plastic.

Factor in the weight of the carboy with the wort in it. Then figure out the weight of the water that is going to be displaced by the volume taken up by the carboy. If the carboy is heavier, it will not float.

Basically, the thing will float at some point around the spot where the water meets the level of the wort. But the wort should be a bit heavier than the water, so it should be ok. The plastic is thin and light enough that I doubt it will affect anything much, either in weight, or displacement.

It all depends on the wort's FG. Water SG is 1.000. If your FG is higher than that, you will be able to get the water level pretty much up to the wort's level, without the carboy floating. If the wort FG is lower than 1.000, it'll float at some point. The plastic in the carboy has a low SG, but the volume of plastic is very small, compared to the wort's volume, so it shouldn't make much of a difference.

I think it's a good assumption that the higher SG of the wort will offset the lower gravity of the bottle.

Anyway, the point is it would mostly likely start to float is when the water level outside the carboy is close to the water level inside, if the water level outside is lower it probably won't float, especially if it's an inch or lower.

I put my better bottles in a water bath about 2 inches below the wort line and no, it doesn't even come close to floating.

475tmg.jpg

Luckily David Letterman has a segment designed to ask pressing questions such as this, I say you write the tonight show and ask that a better bottle full of wort be part of the next segment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put my better bottles in a water bath about 2 inches below the wort line and no, it doesn't even come close to floating.

475tmg.jpg

Winner, winner winner!

That's just what I was looking for - someone who puts their bottle(s) in water.

Decision made, Better Bottle it is.
Thanks all :mug:

Uh....I think you're all over complicating things with your density/bouyency calaculations....

The answer is simple...No it won't float.

Buckets full of wort don't float, do they? Why would the better bottle be any different?

5gallons of liquid is about 41.8 pounds even without even factoring in the weight of the vessel.

I've never had my bb float in my swamp cooler.

This thread is why I love forums.. 50 opinions - some serious, some funny, some WAY too serious...let the OP average it all out then decide.

FWIW you could always plop half a cinder block on top :) <--- I always lean towards stupid inventions..

Well, I've already made my decision but by all means, keep it coming. Without the extra information, I would have never known Letterman had a "will it float" segment. And who doesn't love a girl with a body grinder shooting sparks off her torso!

Back