Worthless or Awesome?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wh4tig0t

Reaction score
In my quest to find some cheap sanke kegs to build a brew sculpture, I found a 3 gallon corny keg at the scrap yard. Would it even be safe to use this thing, I'm pretty sure I can clean it up, but it has some little specks of rust or stains on the inside bottom, are these deal breakers or can they be cleaned off. Fortunately since its a 3 gallon I can get in there and reach them. Also what can you tell me about this keg is it pin lock, or ball lock, says it came from Firestone on the side, also can i buy a new rubber bottom for it. It was a dollar, so not a huge deal, it can go to my probably useless 1/4 sanke i got from the same place.

Photos here

EDIT: It is a Firestone Challenger VI, so it seems like I would be able to buy new parts for it, and still be cheaper than buying a new 3 gallon keg. Its filled with oxyclean now, sitting hoping it takes the stains off. So assuming i can get it clean why shouldn't I use this?

man that thing has had the crap beat out of it - I don't know if I would trust it to put beer in

I say junk

Ugly, but the area around the lid looks ok. If it seals and holds pressure, you've got a deal. I've never had a problem with ugly junk, as long as it does the job.

yeah mechanically it looks ok from what I can see, but it looks like i may not be able to get it clean enough to put beer in.

Back