Wort-war!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomerwt

Reaction score
Hi.
We just have a quick question. In a week or so we will start another experiment (we will make a blog about it later). So we will devide our wort over several smaller fermenters after making the main thing in our big bucket. This means we will only use the big bucket to prepare the wort (coopers lager), but after preparing it will be empty again. Ofcourse we don't want our big bucket to stay empty, so straight after that we will brew a belgian triple kit. Now our question is: Do we have to carefuly clean and sanitize the bucket in between the lager-wort and the triple, or won't the lager particles that stay behind harm our triple? Long story for a little question :ban:

Granted, I'm pretty new at this, and more experienced brewers may correct me if I am wrong.

However, it seems to me that the 5 minutes or less it would take to clean and sanitize the fermenter is a small effort to undertake to ensure you don't ruin your triple.

15 minutes if you are doing it with one hand and keeping camera in the other and having a beer in between.

Clean it and sanitize. You do not want to screw your beer.

15 minutes if you are doing it with one hand and keeping camera in the other and having a beer in between.

Clean it and sanitize. You do not want to screw your beer.

Definitely clean and sanitize. You really don't want to ruin any beer ... especially a triple. If you are repitching on the yeast cake, that is one thing, but it sounds like you are not ... so you will also have 2 strains of yeast in there, which could be strange too ... let alone the chance of infection.

Any beer would be terrible to waste by not cleaning ... losing a triple, in my opinion, would be devastating.

Sanitation is by far the most important aspect of brewing for the beginning brewer. You also need to boil the wort before putting it in the "big bucket" to sanitize the water and extract, and additionally to extract appropriate bittering, flavor, and aroma from the hops.

Clean, clean, clean then sanitize. The 3 main rules of brewing. I would hate to lose a triple because of not following the rules.

In the time it took you post this thread, you could've cleaned your bucket.

In the time it took you post this thread, you could've cleaned your bucket.

We didn't ask the question because we are too lazy to take five minutes to clean it, but just because we want to learn. And now we've learned that it is important to clean our fermentingbucket in between two beer types!

Thanks everyone! :D

Latest posts

Back