Wort tap water contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnslater

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
At risk of being a cliche with a "did I ruin my beer" question for my first post, I have a quick question that I couldn't find the answer to with a search:

While running cool water in my sink to cool my wort, I accidentally bumped the faucet and put probably 1/2 cup or so of tap water into my wort while it was around 140 degrees. Probably an anal question, but I'm assuming that this isn't a big deal correct? Not major bacteria in this little bit of water?

Thanks for any answers. Great forum.

At risk of being a cliche with a "did I ruin my beer" question for my first post, I have a quick question that I couldn't find the answer to with a search:

While running cool water in my sink to cool my wort, I accidentally bumped the faucet and put probably 1/2 cup or so of tap water into my wort while it was around 140 degrees. Probably an anal question, but I'm assuming that this isn't a big deal correct? Not major bacteria in this little bit of water?

Thanks for any answers. Great forum.

Of course it depends on your tap water, but it's generally very safe. I drink my tap water and use it for brewing. If you have a "boil advisory" for your tap water, then it would be different.

You slightly diluted your beer and added a wee bit of O2. I'd say you're fine.

B

Of course it depends on your tap water, but it's generally very safe. I drink my tap water and use it for brewing. If you have a "boil advisory" for your tap water, then it would be different.

Yooper, do you treat your tap water, (campden, boiling, etc)?

Latest posts

Back