Wort is weirdly cloudy - milk in coffee / tea like

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
I made a Tripel IPA over a week ago. I racked 1.078 wort on existing cake of Belgian Ardennes yeast. The fermentation took off like a beast within 12 hours and I had krausen nearly touching the neck of a 6.5g carboy.

2 things that I noticed. When using LME the wort had more particles floating than normal. I also added 2 lbs of corn sugar at flameout. Other than that everything was normal. Ever since I added the wort to the carboy I noticed that its very cloudy in a milk in coffee / tea kind of way.

Any reason why it would be this color?

Sugar should be boiled, not flamed out, but that probably isn't it.

Recipe?

wort usually looks cloudy, even if the beer turns out clear.

Could it be just a ridiculous amount of yeast floating around, like a healthy starter looks like on a stir plate? Pitching onto a full cake might do that.

Fermentation is still going strong after 9 days. I suspected it could be yeast floating in wort and contributing to milkyness but I just didnt think it would be so much.

I am letting it sit for 3 weeks total before I move it into a secondary. Still a long way to go.

Sugar should be boiled, not flamed out, but that probably isn't it.

Recipe?

wort usually looks cloudy, even if the beer turns out clear.

I just made Tripel IPA batch Sunday, the instructions also had me add 2lbs of corn sugar at the end of the 60 minute boil.

I pitched a yeast starter I made and the Krausen was coming out of the blow off tube only 6 hours after pitching.

Although I am a little worried as this is the third day and the Krausen is clearly falling back into the beer.

Back