Wort in carboy with no yeast...how long can it last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaj030201

Reaction score
I want to split my next batch so I can pull off a couple gallons and put it into a fermenter, and continue to boil down the remaining wort to raise the OG then put this wort into a carboy for slow additions to the fermenter over the course of a week or 2. will it stay good? should i throw it in the fridge?

Not very long, maybe 3 days before mold starts to form without the CO2 protecting it. I am wondering why you want to do this?

Regards,

Derrick

There is inevitably going to be some wild yeast or bacteria that has found it's way into your wort. No matter how sanitary you have been.

The whole key to sanitation, quick chilling, and proper pitch rates is to increase the potential for the yeast to take over the unfriendlies and create an environment they don't like. Examples; CO2 and Alcohol.

You might be okay to freeze the wort but I doubt a carboy would survive those rigors. And even if you did freeze the wort, I'd suggest you bring it to a boil and re-chill before you pitch any yeast.

Good luck with that.

What I really don't understand is why the staggered additions?

Are you extract or AG?

If extract, why not just add a late extract addition to increase the OG?

If AG, why not parti-gyle?

datboggs said:
Not very long, maybe 3 days before mold starts to form without the CO2 protecting it. I am wondering why you want to do this?

Regards,

Derrick

With my last Lager, I took 1/2 a gallon of the wort at 200ºF and put it in to a 1/2 gallon jug that I sanitized and steamed before hand. I then put the 1/2 gallon of hot wort into the fridge for 6 weeks. I used this 1/2 gallon to prime the lager in the keg, and it worked great. I did not have any contamination issues.

Back