wort chilling wth!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbys4evr

Reaction score
First venture after class. I have a wort chiller with ice water in the tub, being circulated with a pump through the coils. It is 30 something outside. It seems to be taking FOREVER to chill this wort. What the heck!!

Immersion chiller, I assume? What size? I just made a DIY 50' x 3/8" and it's an AMAZING difference from my old 20'

I just made my chiller using 50' 0f 3/8" copper tubing. Takes about 20 min to cool 10 gallon batch . I use tap water from well thats around 50deg. Beats the heck out of ice in a big tub and an 1-1/2 hr wait :)

I finally converted my 50' 3/8 into a 25' counterflow using garden hose and sweated fittings as shown in the DIY section here on HBT. Absolutely this is faster than what I was getting before, probably less wasted water, but I'm missing the ability to cool wort to 190 and then let my flame out hops ride 20-30min on a slow ambient chill down to 170 or so before turning the water back on and chilling the rest of the way.

Maybe I need to recirculate the counterflow back to the kettle to duplicate what I was able to do with my immersion chiller, but I don't own a pump yet.

Ok it's figured out that I'm a dumba**.
What happened was I was using a digital oven thermometer for the boil and it worked so well I used it for the chill also. Apparently digital oven thermometers don't go below something like 100. I put a different thermometer in and it read 60. All is well. I learned a valuable lesson, and the brew is in the closet. Ps the liquid I took for the OG is mighty tasty. All's well that ends well I guess

Back