Wort Chilling set up question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpfeifer

Reaction score
Hey all-

I am moving to all-grain brewing and in the process of setting up my brewery. I decided to go with a Shirron plate chiller but am now trying to figure out how best to feed the wort through it. I have read some of the threads posted on this but am still not clear on the best method. Should I buy a pump or does gravity do the trick just fine?

If gravity works, how would I properly set things up so that I can use gravity? I am not building a rig (not yet anyway) so I need some way of setting up the gravity feed through the chiller that is easy to break down but still effective. any advice would help.

Thanks!

I have my plate chiller set up to use gravity and it works amazing! Since you don't have a rig I would just build a stand out of 2x4's and mount it a little below your boil kettle.

I have my plate chiller set up to use gravity and it works amazing! Since you don't have a rig I would just build a stand out of 2x4's and mount it a little below your boil kettle.

Cool. Thanks. Does it matter how it is mounted (horizontal/vertical)?

vertical is better. in on top out on the bottom. if its not cooling well enough us something to slow the flow.

Back