wort chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumike102

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Im new here just getting into the hobby. I heard wort chillers can really cut down on the time it takes to cool down my wort. Wondering if i can just make one myself out of copper tube that i can get at home depot. thats what it looks like most people are using. My first brew took overnight to cool so i dont want to do that again.

Mike:mug:

Yes, you can build your own easily. Search for instructions on building your own "Immersion Chiller". You just need a coil, some tubing and clamps, and a coupling to hook it to a garden hose.

One thing to note though, a lot of people are seeing the prices of pre-built chillers from a brew shop to be cheaper, or as cheap, as building your own. The price of copper has been pretty steep lately.

-walker

drumike102 said:
Hey guys,
Im new here just getting into the hobby. I heard wort chillers can really cut down on the time it takes to cool down my wort. Wondering if i can just make one myself out of copper tube that i can get at home depot. thats what it looks like most people are using. My first brew took overnight to cool so i dont want to do that again.

Mike:mug:

Another option is to put the kettle in an "ice bath" which has been working for me. But yes, an immersion chiller seems to be the way to go in the long run.

thanks a bunch man ya i was wondering if it would be any cheaper as i recently had to repair some plumbing at home and that was not cheap. But i will look into it and see what i can do. thanks for the info.

I now attach my chiller to my laundry washing machine cold water hookup, then run the hot waste water into the washer to wash clothes! I have a 25' 3/8" chiller and it will cool it to 68 degrees in 20 minutes easy...

The Pol

The Pol said:
I now attach my chiller to my laundry washing machine cold water hookup, then run the hot waste water into the washer to wash clothes! I have a 25' 3/8" chiller and it will cool it to 68 degrees in 20 minutes easy...

The Pol

You forgot to add the :off: .

:D

Morebeer has 50' 1/2" chillers for $75 and free shipping, that is a pretty substantial chiller!

The Pol (dancer)

Try checking your local plumming supply store.
Avoid the major chains, they overcharge for what they buy cheaper than the smaller guys. They buy for far less than list, then turn around and mark it up from list price and sell it to you.

I just bought 2 50' sections of 1/2" for $75.

I purchased my first wort chiller from ebay for about 20 or 30 I think. It cut down the chilling time from about 3 hr.s to about 30 minutes... For not too much extra, you can look into the counter flow chillers... I use it now and literally go from hot pot into carboy at a good temp and it takes about 10 minutes... If you have a LHBS, you can go there and check them out if you want to buy your own.. I guy at my LHBS said that they make them cheaper due to the fact that they purchase a couple hundred feet of copper at one time so they get it at a bulk price... No matter what you do, I say the time and lowering the risk of infection is a massive positive and cost effective... Plus it makes your chemistry set look so much cooler when people come over to check it out... :mug:

Back