Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdtexas

Reaction score
Completed a really stress free AG session yesterday. I don't have a wort chiller and did not use the ice bath method but just closed up the fermentor, attached the airlock and let it sit over night. I pitched with my starter this morning.

The beer is a blond ale if it matters. What is the risk?
Infection the bucket is sealed and affixed with an airlock

DMS? Maybe

I guess just trying to figure out if wort chilling is "accepted" or the wort chiller is a must.

The risk of infection isn't the only reason to chill your wort. By bringing the temp down as fast as possible, you're maximizing cold break, which crashes proteins out of solution in your wort, which enhances the clarity of the finished product. No chilling, no cold break.

Having said that, as long as it's not infected, you'll still have beer, and it will still be tasty. It will be hazier than it would have been with a chiller, though.

Quality of beer and leaving a food item in the temperature danger zone for hours seems like two really good reasons to chill your beer properly.

Some sort of chilling method is a must!

Completed a really stress free AG session yesterday. I don't have a wort chiller and did not use the ice bath method but just closed up the fermentor, attached the airlock and let it sit over night. I pitched with my starter this morning.

The beer is a blond ale if it matters. What is the risk?
Infection the bucket is sealed and affixed with an airlock

DMS? Maybe

I guess just trying to figure out if wort chilling is "accepted" or the wort chiller is a must.

Meh, it'll still come out fine. A wort chiller is easy to make, depending on what your local hardware store carries the copper tubing for, it'll cost around 20.00.

5/16 Copper Tube, 25 ft = 10.99 at Lowes
20ft of 5/16th vinyl tubing at .20/ft = 4.00 at Lowes
3/8th to female garden hose adaptor = 2.00 at Lowes
4 small hose clamps = 2.00 at Lowes

I did a similar operation as ewbish, but for some additional cash, I got 20 feet of 5/8 copper tubing and 20 feet of 1/2 inch vinyl tubing. It works fantasic, great flow. I think it was $20 more than ewbish's set up.
They are fun to make too! All I did was wrap it around a corny keg.

Latest posts

Back