• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wort Chiller in Central PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolwave

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a wort chiller in the central PA area (Harrisburg, York, Lancaster). I think an immersion chiller would be the most appropriate for my current and foreseeable future needs and I thought I would check here first to see if anyone has upgraded to something else in the area. If I don't hear anything in the next week or so I will probably order a build kit from coppertubingsales.com

Thanks

I am looking to buy a wort chiller in the central PA area (Harrisburg, York, Lancaster). I think an immersion chiller would be the most appropriate for my current and foreseeable future needs and I thought I would check here first to see if anyone has upgraded to something else in the area. If I don't hear anything in the next week or so I will probably order a build kit from coppertubingsales.com

Thanks
Was browsing the forum and found your thread.

I am working on my own IC with the tubing from coppertubingsales. I went with the 50' coil of 1/2" OD soft tubing. Cost was 73.22 incl shipping. I am splitting the cost with my brother (a fellow brewer). I bought a 10' length of tubing from Lowes at $4.59, a pack of SS clamps at Lowes for $1.02 and a garden hose connector with 1/2" barb for $6.28 at Lowes. Total was about $48.50 for one IC. I later found a hardware store that had a barb for $2 less. The second IC I am building will have 90 degree elbows instead of bending the tubing (much easier). The elbows were $1.69 at the local HW store vs Lowes at $2.17.

So, if you like to DIY, I'd go with the 1/2", due to you save in the long run plus better efficiency, compared to even 3/8" x 50 at Lowes. The only problem for us (I am central Pa) is the shipping from the tubing site.

Just thought I'd throw that out there to chew on. Cheers!

I have a 25' CFC with 3/8" copper tube inside a 5/8" hose. If you are interested I'll PM some pictures next week, I will not have access to it until next week. I'm looking to get $70 for it. I am in Lancaster but am also in Middletown a few days a week. I never ran wort through it yet, but tested with water and cooled from boiling to 60 F in one pass at 3 gpm with 55 F cooling water. Let me know if your are interested!

I might be interested and I am not in that much of a hurry so please pm me the pictures when you can. Did you perform your test using a gravity feed or do you have pumps?

Thanks

Ok I will sent pics as soon as I can get them next week. I did the test with my 3 gpm topsflo pump and the valve wide open, I'm sure if I did it by gravity or throttled the valve that It would have done even better. I think the 3/8" tubing is key, it allows for better heat transfer because you are cooling a smaller cross section of fluid than if you were using 1/2".

Latest posts

Back