Wort chiller for 15 gal. kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3toes

Reaction score
I have a 15 gal. kettle (but mainly do 5 gal. boils) and I need to get a chiller (or put one together) in the next few days, but it seems like most of the 25 ft. chillers are meant for pots with smaller dimensions. Most seem to top out at 15" tall, while my kettle is 18" tall (AiH's 15 gal single weld model).

Has anyone ever used, say a chiller like this: http://www.morebeer.com/products/wort-chiller-immersion-25-38-tubing.html, with one of those pots?

I've thought about just building my own, but all the copper tubing I've found is so much that, with the fittings, it'd pretty much be a wash.

I have and would highly recommend a 50' 1/2" chiller.

With a pre-chiller, I can chill to lagering temps rather quickly, and ales are chilled in 10 min. or less. I would buy one, about $100, I can't imagine having to bend this tubing.

I recently purchased a 50 foot roll of 1/2" soft copper refrigeration tube for about $40.00. It took a couple hours to make (see youtube videos). You need to purchase a " 1/2" copper spring" to bend the ends down (I think about $5.00) but can just direct clamp your hoses if you don't want to purchase fittings. I used compression fittings X Barb that added $10.00 or $20.00. Copper prices are down so you should be able to get it done for under $50.00 and it will work fine if you upsize to 10 galon batches

Ok cool, thanks for the recommendations.

Yeah I'm not exactly looking forward to bending 50' of copper tubing, but the savings for building a 50'er over a 25' seem to be much more worth it.

I recently purchased a 50 foot roll of 1/2" soft copper refrigeration tube for about $40.00. It took a couple hours to make (see youtube videos). You need to purchase a " 1/2" copper spring" to bend the ends down (I think about $5.00) but can just direct clamp your hoses if you don't want to purchase fittings. I used compression fittings X Barb that added $10.00 or $20.00. Copper prices are down so you should be able to get it done for under $50.00 and it will work fine if you upsize to 10 galon batches

I guess I need to go look in person... Lowe's has 1/2" 50ft. copper tubing at $83 :\

Here is a good video [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S94Lhp-bv8M[/ame]

The only thing I did different is to use a corny keg for a form and the 1st thing was to use the spring to bend 2' from the end 90 deg perpandicular to the roll before it has a chance to deform from rolling around the keg (the 2 section is then parrellel to the keg, keg is lying on the floor, and helper is holding coil vertical unrolling as you roll) . 2 people helps so one can hold the coil vertical while the other wraps. Duck Soup go for it

Back