Wort chiller and new sink problem. HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrphillips

Reaction score
I just had a fancy new sink installed, and it has one of those shower-head looking things on it. After it was installed I realized "Crap! How the hell do I hookup my wort chiller?"

Has anyone ran into this problem, and if so, can you help me cool my beer down?

I had a similar problem. I actually ended up installing a second small faucet next to the first (I had a open hole in the sink that I would have had to put a plug into anyway). Not ideal, but it's a solution. The nice part is I can leave a quick connect permanently attached to the small faucet, so I don't have to unscrew the head all the time to attach the wort chiller.

I also considered adding a 'garden hose' type faucet under the sink. But that would have required soldering in a T or something, which I didn't feel like doing.

Hopefully someone else out there has some other solutions.

Cheers!

Can you connect your wort chiller to a garden hose? I have a spigot near my kitchen door and I do that.

I had the same problem, the only solution for me has been to hook it up to the garden hose and run it into the house/sink :(

I am assuming this is a kitchen sink right? At your cold water shut off valve, you can attach a tee at that, install a ball valve onto the tee and attach a garden hose adapter onto the ball valve.

I did something similar before with the sink in my garage, just went to Home Depot and talked to a guy there working the plumbing aisle.

When you want to chill your beer you would have to attach a hose to it and turn on the ball valve. Depending upon what you have under your sink it could be a pain or not....

Great tips! Thank you thank you! I do have a hose, but I'd need to walk down 20 stairs with 200 degree wort...which doesn't strike me as the wisest of choices (though it would hardly make the list of dumb **** I've done while brewing).

How about a pond pump and a sink full of water? Don't know anything about your climate, but in Oregon the ground water is cool enough most of the year to cool wort effectively. We also don't experience droughts... water is kind of out thing.

What faucet do you have? I've yet to see one that you can't unscrew the head then put an adapter for whatever fitting you need in it's place. However, I'm sure I have seen fewer faucets than I haven't seen so this is just a thought.

Back