Wort and Dieting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeanGreen

Reaction score
I am increasing my waste line with this hobby

How bad in theory is unfermented wort to drink. Isn't it the sugars that are so fattening in this

I have no interest in brewing a mich ultra clones

its the carbs that go unused. time to buy a gym membership

Cut back on eating, so you can drink more. Buy a bicycle and ride at least 4 miles per day.

Yup, have to either eat less or do activity to account for the liquid calories. Stupid evolutionary metabolism, sigh. :(.

Cut back on eating, so you can drink more. Buy a bicycle and ride at least 4 miles per day.

Hah, it's is pretty often that I don't have anything to eat at my house, so I just drink beer after work. It helps.

I am increasing my waste line with this hobby

How bad in theory is unfermented wort to drink. Isn't it the sugars that are so fattening in this

I have no interest in brewing a mich ultra clones

I prefer to drink only fermented wart. :)

Seriously, don't do the crime if you can't do the time!

You can make flavorful low calorie beers. Take your favorite pale ale recipe and scale it back by 20%. Rack onto a teaspoon of amylase enzyme in secondary. The enzyme will help to ferment out almost all of the residual sugar. The result will be a beer that is lower in calories but nearly the same alc. %. The beer will certainly be dryer and crisper than the original recipe but it will be no MGD 64...

Both the unfermented sugars AND the alcohol contain calories. The former 4cal/g, the later 7cal/g.

There are a number of very flavourfull, low calorie beers you can brew that are NOT light american pilsners. Try brewing some English Bitters or Sottish Ales 60/- or 70/-. A lot of flavour, you can brew them quickly and drink them without adding as much to the waistline or getting blasted.

GT

I typically spend an hour at the gym per day, unless I'm just too tired to get up at 6:30am. Seems to work in maintaining weight. Then again, I only do a couple brews every 6 weeks or so, now.

My wife laughs at me because I am completely on a strict diet JUST so I can drink beer.

Well... if you don't wanna get fat ... it's what you gotta do. I haven't been to the gym in a while, and just started going again because 1 month of regular homebrew drinking has made me a tad chubby. I went on a diet, and a regular workout regiment, and am brewing 4 consecutive 5g batches to get ready to have enough on hand for the rest of the year.:ban:

fermentation removes only about 5% of the energy from sugars. Your body breaks the chemical bonds to unlock the rest of the energy (calories). Quite simply-- you want less calories, you need a lower SG.

Back