Wort Aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bheher

Reaction score
I have been reading a bunch of info on oxygenation of wort prior to pitching. Wyest has some good info on their website, they state that 40 seconds of shaking the carboy can get you 8ppm O2. Ideally you want to have 12ppm O2 in solution. This can only be achieved with use of pure oxygen. I am wondering if you could just shake the carboy during the growth phase to boost O2?

Take my average brew day:

Yeast WL001, ale with 1.055-1.060 SG, 5gal batch

Pitch 1 liter starter

I think my lag time/growth phase for this is about 6 hours.

Say I pitched then aerated the wort by shaking the carboy. Then wait two hours and shake the carboy again. Wouldn't this make sure the yeast is never stressed from lack of oxygen during growth phase.*

I guess the main question would be: Would there be a risk of oxidation in the final product from this?

So if the yeast take in oxygen for 24hrs why not aerate after you pitch? As long as you give the yeast enough time to take in the oxygen you shouldn't have a problem?

Found this thread helpful: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/shaking-carboy-post-pitch-305253/#post3801030

I think i will just aerate as I do now for normal beers and then do a 2nd aeration during the growth phase for big/high gravity beers.

I aerate using pure oxygen and a stone. 60 seconds prior to pitching.

On big beers (RIS, barleywine, ets) I aerate again at about 12 hours with 30 seconds of oxygen.

It helps to ensure proper attenuation and I have never had a problem with off flavors.

You are perfectly fine to aerate during the growth phase, White Labs recommends it for big beers.

That said, with a OG of 1.060 I doubt that a second aeration would be helpful.

cfonnes, thanks for the info. Ill have to look that up on the white labs site.

Seems like its a good idea to do a 2nd aeration for big beers.

yeah, as long as its only 12 or so hours after pitch its fine. jus make sure you don't do it 3 days later or something.

Back