Worst Site for Hops that Actually Produced

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowNotes

Reaction score
So, obviously there are many threads that share the optimal conditions you should be aiming for when growing hops, but I was thinking it might be helpful to share some success stories from hops that are in relatively poor conditions.

I am planting hops for the first time this eyar, so I don't have anything to share. I am planting 3 in my backyard, going to train them horizontally along a fence, in a location that probably only gets 4-6 hours of direct sun per day. I am also planting 6 at my Dad's, where there is a wide open field and I put up a tall post and strung the lines down to the mounds.

Based on that, I am fully expecting the hops from my Dad's yard to out-perform mine, but I am curious if I am maybe being pessimistic about my fence-trained hops.

So, who had the most success in the worst conditions? No/short trellis? Shady area? Bad soil? Poor irrigation?

Back