WORST Non-homebrew you've had!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willy Boner

Reaction score
:mug: Well I think you can remember these easier than you can the many that you have enjoyed!

In no particular order:
Corona-havent' drank one that wasn't skunked
Beamish Irish Stout-cheap boilermaker?
Some Pineapple Hefe from Hawaii-yuck
I've drank some that are pushing my hops tolerance.
Now I always get a little taste before I fork out good money on something I don't want to drink!:mug:

Oh, this one is easy. I've only had one kind of beer that was just too bad to drink. It was Stoney's (and you young guys will never have heard of it). There old jingle was "Roll out the Stoney's, that's why I'm here."

I drank them all back in the day. I went to college at the University of Pittsburgh and I drank Iron City, Genny Cream Ale, Reading Premium, Blatz, and a bunch of others that were cheap and easy to come by. We used to swing by the Original (aka the Dirty O) on Forbes Avenue and pick up whatever was a buck and a quarter for a six or a buck forty of a six of 16s.

Stoney's was the exception. It was undrinkable even to those burned out taste buds.

The Original was quite a place. One time, a buddy of mine, without even looking, stepped over a guy laying in a pool of blood to walk in. I grabbed him in mid-step and pulled him back; we went elsewhere. True story as God is my witness.

lowest scores from my RB account, all tied with zero points:

472 Miller Chill
473 LandShark Lager
474 Heineken Premium Light Lager
475 White Lightning
476 Steel Reserve 211 High Gravity
477 Corona Extra
478 Pearl
479 Lone Star
480 Grolsch Premium Pilsner
481 Natural Ice
482 Milwaukees Best Ice
483 Milwaukees Best Light

Dixie Beer. Great name, horrible taste, aftertaste and even smell. After drinking, it seems to coat your teeth and tongue with some horrible substance.

AB's Hurricane High Gravity Lager - HORRID!

For the same effect, dump two shots of vodka into a Bud Light, then chew on some aluminum foil to get the aftertaste.

when i first tried hienikin i about threw up. however, i've since become tolarant of it. I'll have a PBR if i'm drinking swill. however, natural ice is among the horrible. the top of hte heap is easily steel reserve! the ****ing 211 is dangerous and horrible. bad combo! i used to drink the **** out of Iron City back in the day. it had this biscut/victory malt flavor that was nutty as anything!

Taiwan Beer. Years ago I was working for an import company and there were 2 cases of it stashed in the nose of a pier container. The bottles that weren't skunked tasted like sweet carbonated water.

A buddy of mine and I split the two cases, but we later found out that is was smuggled in for one of the company's buyers. He never knew who nabbed it, but he ranted and raved over it for months.

Sierra Light. I remember having it in college, it was $7 for a 30 pack. It was flat as soon as you opened it. Coors light a close second.

I had a Grolsch one time that was skunk city. Absolutely the worst beer I've ever had. It was a big flip top too, but I was too beer dumb to dump it. I would have chucked it immediately now.

The Olde English Family of (what they call) Beer
Keystone , any of them
and the topper of them all IMHO
White Label with "Beer" in black lettering $4.50 per case (back in the day)

right now I am thinking of putting "Black Dog Ale" on there
$9.00 a sixer and it is Skunked

Ignoring all of BMC, I'd say it was the Rockbottom cask-conditioned Red I had in Denver. First craft beer I dumped.

Can't believe it's taken this long for someone to mention the object of so much ire. I speak, obviously, of:

Rolling Skunk!

It's like they took Heiny, which is already skunk juice, and aged it in the hot Brazillian sun for a month. The fact that this horrid skunk junk is still being produced and consumed is a rather depressing testament to the brilliance of ad agencies. They've created this brand identity that is based entirely on a green bottle with "special" white screenprinted lettering and something about latrobe and glass tanks. That's it.

Until Stella came along, it was what people who didn't like "real" beer, but didn't want to be seen as a BMC-drinking plebe, usually drank. That or Heiny...but RR has a distinct following because of its brand identity. Gawd, give me a 40 of OE over that crap ANY day.

My most *gaggin moment* was St. Pauli Girl back when we were drinking coors in highschool. We decided to drink some Good Beer one night. Haven't tried it since. Blatz is about the worst since I've learned to appreciate real beer. Got a can in a wedding gift from my old history teacher as a joke. it's all the guy drinks.

Pearl... The only beer I could not get down even when smashed.... And I have put down my fair share of swill

Lone Star, the only place its tollerable is sitting in a tube on a river wetting yourself for 8 hours at a time

(I'll get flamed for this)yuengling lager... Tried it when I was on the east coast for a conference, I thought it was pretty vile. Tasted almost exactly what you would imagine a sweaty armpit would. Don't know if I got a bad batch, but it will take a lot to convince me to try it again.

Natty light/ice *Shudder*

I'm at Uni of Delaware...

Beast Light is the worst IMO
Natty is like water
PBR is gross
Bud Light is horrible
If i gotta drink crap, I'll drink Miller Lite or Keystone

I've had a couple microbrews and brewpub beers that were contaminated, so those are top of the list. However, I doubt that was the intended flavor (although the ******* bartender at the brewpub told me that I knew nothing about "real beer" when I mentioned the contamination).

There was some stuff I had back in college that was the worst, ever. It was as cidery and oxidized as you can get. I think it was called "Braumeister," or something like that. It was not the famous "Meister Brau," mind you, although that stuff ain't great for more than kitsch. I haven't seen it since then, though.

Cave Creek Chili beer is flat-out terrible, but I do not see it around here.

There are a lot of runners-up. The green bottle skunks are among them. However, for those that are readily available today, I give the crown to Corona (pun intended). I cannot stand that stuff, and it has no redeeming value whatsoever.

TL

Who is unfortunate enough to have tried Iron City Light? Its a Pittsburgh thing, and though I love the city- the beer is 4 types of dreadful.

If you put soapy water in a Bud Light bottle, I'd fail the taste test. Maybe the BMC people should be left out as too obvious.

From people who actually use traditional ingredients, SA Imperial Pils taste like I drank the bile from one of you hop-heads after a long night of drinking and much daring and double dog daring.
I have one bottle left at my house, and rather than turn all the lights on at the end of the night- like a bar- I plan to give it out to get my message across.

This has got to be right up there:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/29/27354

BMC, PBR, and other lighter lagers are nothing more than they advertise-I can respect that. This one though-tries to be very complex and it just doesn't work. Admittedly-I like beer to taste like beer-so I probably wouldn't have ordered a vnilla bourbon cask ale if I could help it...but I told SWMBO 'winter lager' and I guess she jumped when she saw 'winter' and bought this stuff. It's probably not as bad as I think, but it still has been sitting in the fridge for months.

BrewDey - had one of those last night a local sports bar Roosters. All the bars here carry that. It was decent for the first couple swallows, but had to leave 1/3 of when I left. Too sweet. Never had a bourbon ale so i chalked it up to that. I Suppose I'll try another before dismissing the style.

Worst Beer = Molson Canadian...and I'm Canadian...

I can't beleive I'm reading that people don't like Heineken...probably the best beer I've ever had on tap in Amsterdam...but in the bottle I'll agree it's not that great.

IrregularPulse said:
It was decent for the first couple swallows, but had to leave 1/3 of when I left. Too sweet. .

Exactly-at first I thought I liked it, but then I couldn't ignore the sweetness and the artificial vanilla flavor (cited several times in BA reviews)...I appreciate AB trying to produce some different styles, but this one seems a bit extreme.

I'm lucky enough to have one of the worst breweries in existence right here in MN. Anything made by Gluek's is complete garbage. Here, you can see the awesome grades they've received at BA. The worst of the worst was Gluek's Light. Have you even taken a piss late one night and forgot to flush the toilet then find it sitting there stale in the morning? You know that smell? That's how Gluek's Light tastes.

I remember another dreadful one. This was at some brewpub in Newport Beach, CA (can't recall the name - this was about ten years ago). I was out there for work and me and a couple of friends saw this brew pub advertising dollar drafts from 7:00 to 9:00 on a Monday night in early November. It was obviously an attempt to get people to get cozy for Monday Night Football.

We all agreed that dollar drafts of pub brewed beer followed by MNF was a good deal...until we tried to choke down the sewer sludge they served. We couldn't finish even one and we left to find a place with real beer.

Back