Worst Craft Beer Of ALL-TIME!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW I've heard it pronounced trip-uhl about 1,000 times and tripe-uhl 1 time, and that was in your video. Yeah, I don't like it either. Buddy of mine loves it, though. My least favorite beer that most people like is Dogfish 60 minute.

Entertaining video! I like golden monkey and also use it to make beer cheese.

FWIW I've heard it pronounced trip-uhl about 1,000 times and tripe-uhl 1 time, and that was in your video.
Youtubers just troll for people to post comments because it increases their revenue or search rank or something.

0018200008660_CL_default_default_large.jpeg

By far the worst is Costco brand variety pack case of beer....The only case of beer I've ever thrown away. Undrinkable

Undrinkable is a stretch, but it's mediocre at best. I've gotten it for parties before when I wanted a lot of relatively inexpensive beer.

I am completely baffled as to why you would consider them craft beer though. Just because their packaging says so doesn't make it so.

Hands down the worst craft beer I have ever had was Stone Mocha IPA.
Super rare do i buy a bomber and take one or two drinks and literally pour the whole thing out.
This...was a no brainer drain pour.

The worst “craft” beer, and probably the worst beer, period, that I’ve ever tried, was Shock Top End of the World Midnight Wheat. Besides having what might be the longest name of any commercial brew it tasted of imitation smoke flavoring and eau de sweat sock. Calling it “nasty” wouldn’t begin to adequately describe the flavor.

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat - tastes like carbonated cough syrup
I had forgotten about that one, I tried one yeeears ago and thought the exact same thing.
Awful.... how is it even possible it made it to the bottle? How did someone in the first makings think this thing was good?

Some may disagree, but I happen to think Karl Strauss Red Trolley Ale is the worst craft beer currently in production...

That being said...I've brewed that style a few times and have only been satisfied once...so I acknowledge I'm pretty picky with regard to that particular style...

Some may disagree, but I happen to think Karl Strauss Red Trolley Ale is the worst craft beer currently in production...

That being said...I've brewed that style a few times and have only been satisfied once...so I acknowledge I'm pretty picky with regard to that particular style...

I’ll have to try it again. I had it quite a few times in the mid/late 00s (seemed to be the predominant after-golf beer around here). Wasn’t spectacular but I recall was passable for what it was. I will say I think they are at the top of their IPA game now, which is somewhat surprising after drinking their earlier beers as you say.

Agreed! Many of their IPAs are stellar...I've had some of them on cask even...a very innovative brewery even still!

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat - tastes like carbonated cough syrup

Love Sam Adams' beers, but have to agree 100% on that one.

Stella Artouis is another one. Only had one at an Outback once, and I poured it out. I'd like to blame that on a dirty beer line or something, but that was just horrid.

Love Sam Adams' beers, but have to agree 100% on that one.

Stella Artouis is another one. Only had one at an Outback once, and I poured it out. I'd like to blame that on a dirty beer line or something, but that was just horrid.
I have a good friend who keeps Stella in his fridge all the time. Apparently, it’s his idea of craft beer. He really likes my homebrew, so every time we go to visit he asks if I want a beer; it’s always Stella. It’s not bad, but it’s not much different than most BMC beers. The one time my friend surprised me he had bought one of those 36 can packages of Costco “craft” beer. I was glad to get a Stella the next time we visited. :cool:

Those Costco beers must be that terrible. A few years back, one of the guys in our brew club had a brew day that I attended. Someone had brought some Kirkland wine. It was the cheesiest and cheapest looking packaging I'd seen. I'm not a wine guy at all, so assumed it was going to taste like ****. It was actually pretty good.

Not good enough to start keeping it stocked in the fridge, but good enough to finish my glass.

That's a good damn beer. Tripels are lovely.
Try Allagash's Tripel. Now there's a damn fine beer!

Worst craft beer I've had (that I can remember) was Stony Creek's Big Cranky DIPA. It tasted like bile and malt.
I always hated that beer.

I wouldn't say it is the worts craft beer by any means, but Lagunitas Daytime IPA.
I honestly don't see how this gets such high ratings.
It is way out of balance, you might as well just make "hop water".
Founders All Day is multiples better than this in my opinion.
I don't believe making a light ABV IPA is simply cutting the grain bill down and keep the hops the same. That is what this beer is to me.

I wouldn't say it is the worts craft beer by any means, but Lagunitas Daytime IPA.
I honestly don't see how this gets such high ratings.
It is way out of balance, you might as well just make "hop water".
Founders All Day is multiples better than this in my opinion.
I don't believe making a light ABV IPA is simply cutting the grain bill down and keep the hops the same. That is what this beer is to me.

There's a difference between the normal session IPAs and these new low cal ones. A bunch of breweries are doing them, and I think they are trying to cross into the hard Seltzer but still beer territory.
None of them are very good.
I'd rather have a salad with a good beer than a burger with a crappy beer.

This beer seems to have a unique cache as the one that absolutely demolishes college kids. I think they even marketed off of this a while back - "everyone has a Golden Monkey story."

Also, the worst craft beer was Rogue/Voodoo Maple Bacon Ale, referred to on BA as "The Pink Death."

I've only had 2 beers in my lifetime I could not drink. One was a six pack of Olympia I picked up for a canoe trip. Stuff went bad or something. Could not drink it. When you pour out the only beer you got on a float trip, you know it's pretty damn horrible. The other was a beer I got at the Ginger Man near Rice University in Houston, TX some years ago. It was called "Old Fogcutter". The barmaid noticed I had stopped drinking when I got it and she asked what was wrong. I told her it was gonna take me a while to get past this one. She tasted it and went and poured it out and did not charge me for it - seriously endearing herself to me in the process. Her tip was appropriate.
I've never found it again (thank goodness). I've seen a double IPA called Fogcutter online. This was no IPA. It was sickly sweet and syrupy with an after-taste like burnt brussels sprouts. If she hadn't taken pity on me I might still be sitting there staring forlornly at that glass.

Back