Worst case scenario from overpitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phug

Reaction score
So what's the worst case scenario when overpitching yeast in a cider. Let's say you use 50ml of S04 yeast slurry in a 1 gallon batch.

Other than maybe not wanting to re-use that yeast cake, what the worst that could happen?

The apocalypse.

Seriously, I'm pretty sure nothing bad can happen by over-pitching the yeast. If you've added enough additional liquid I guess at some point you've watered down your cider. It shouldn't even hurt your yeast cake.

from wyeast:

Pitch rates, in addition to strain, temperature, and gravity, make a dramatic difference in the final flavor and aroma profile of any beer. The pitch rate will have a direct effect on the amount of cell growth during a fermentation. Cell growth decreases as pitch rates increase. Ester production is directly related to yeast growth as are most other flavor and aroma compounds.

A low pitch rate can lead to:
Excess levels of diacetyl
Increase in higher/fusel alcohol formation
Increase in ester formation
Increase in volatile sulfur compounds
High terminal gravities
Stuck fermentations
Increased risk of infection

High pitch rates can lead to:
Very low ester production
Very fast fermentations
Thin or lacking body/mouthfeel
Autolysis (Yeasty flavors due to lysing of cells)

With some beer styles, where a complex ester profile is desirable (German Wheat) it can be beneficial to under pitch. Over pitching can often lead to a very clean beer lacking an ester profile (banana). This is a common problem with subsequent generations of Wyeast's Weihenstephan Weizen #3068. Conversely, beers that require a clean profile should be pitched an an increased rate.

thanks for the responses.

This was my first time pitching yeast slurry that I had saved and refrigerated from a previous batch. I didn't proof it, and I did a piss poor job of warming it up, and my basement is around 55-60.

Fast forward 3 days later, and active fermentation is visible, and looking healthy. I don't think I'll save this yeast again though, I have more dry S-04 sitting the the fridge.

Back