Worst bar experience ever! (Greenville, SC)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCarnie

Reaction score
So last night my brother and I were out shooting some pictures with some new photography equipment i bought. We decided to have a beer at our favorite bar in town, Barley's Taproom and Pizzeria. I've been going there since I got back from Iraq, about 2 years now.

As we got upstairs, i saw that my favorite bartender was working (really i thought of this guy as a friend.) I am pretty indecisive about what IPA i want, I guess he didn't enjoy it this time.

Me: UUUHH, I don't know man, not a lot of good IPAs
Bartender:You complain about that every time, we have the best beers in greenville!
Me: alright, well I guess I"ll have a Great Divide Fresh Hop
PAUSE, Starts to pour beer.
Me: Been a long day?
Bartender: No man, it's just that every time you come here you have something to say and something to complain about! I don't understand why you keep coming back. This is the best place to drink in Greenville!

I keep quiet and start watching the game.

Bartender: Don"t get all quiet on me now. Am i not right?!
Me: About what....(get interupted)
Bartender: You always have something to complain about, If you don't like it don't come back!

I pulled out my wallet put down a $20, then slapped the full pint of great divide across the bar, breaking the glass and spilling good beer all over the backside of the bar.

Bartender: Get out of my bar! And take your money too, i don't want it!

I went downstairs, and talked to a manager that i didn't know about the whole incident. I know I didn't handle this situation correctly, but, in my defense, he antagonized and escalated the situation.

I love this bar, know 80% of the people there by name, always tip great (usually about 30%), and about 5 days ago the owner josh thanked my brother and I for being such loyal guests. I can't believe this, I feel stabbed in the back!

So he's right?
And, for what its worth, $20 doesn't buy you the right to act like a jackass and throw stuff around like a 3 year old. In a situation like this a good owner/manager will have his staff's back. Hopefully he's 86'd you for good.

The $20 was to pay for the beer that i ordered, I wasn't expecting to get change. If i order something I pay for it, regardless of if I drink it or spill it. Like I said, my reaction was not the best.

You would have been justified with anything up to and including telling the barkeep to go Fck himself. You caused a scene and broke their property over nothing more than a little hurt feelings. You can't unring that bell.
Now you are "that guy". I wouldn't want to go back even if they let me.
You lose this one.

you would have been justified with anything up to and including telling the barkeep to go fck himself. You caused a scene and broke their property over nothing more than a little hurt feelings. You can't unring that bell.
Now you are "that guy". I wouldn't want to go back even if they let me.
You lose this one.

+1

Yeah it kinda sounds like you both made asses of yourselves.

On one hand, he shouldn't have been talking crap to you, the customer.

On the other, you've been going there two years and you don't know what you like that they've got on tap?

so he knew you were going to ***** about the beer selection, and as soon as you did he snapped. maybe he was having a bad day? you probably shouldn't have thrown the glass though. bogus situation since you frequent the place..

I'm really just shocked by the whole thing really. No one has ever said anything to me about being indecisive. I know what i like, but the selection changes constantly, like most micro-brew bars.

Bartender: No man, it's just that every time you come here you have something to say and something to complain about! I don't understand why you keep coming back. This is the best place to drink in Greenville!
AND
Bartender: You always have something to complain about, If you don't like it don't come back!

He was an arse to say that to you. Even if that what he thinks of you, he was out of line to say that. You are his customer, and he needs to respect you.

”…. then slapped the full pint of great divide across the bar, breaking the glass and spilling good beer all over the backside of the bar.”

As you now realise, you over-reacted.

I suggest you learn from this:

1. Although you haven’t realised it, you have come across as a constant whinger to someone that you considered to be a friend. You need to consider what you say and how you say it. Do you think “positive” things but only verbalise your negative thoughts? People like positive people. People don’t like negative people. If you have come across like this to the bartender, I’m guessing your friends and relatives may have the same impression about you. You should ask a few of your closest friends and relative if they think you are a negative person. You should think twice before verbalising any negative thoughts. You should openly say anything positive that you think. People will appreciate you more for both of these things.

2. Your reaction to his comments was unacceptable. You crossed a line by breaking the glass. You need to consider whether or not you have an anger problem. Are there other examples of your behaviour that paint a similar picture?

There are a few positives here:
1. You understand and acknowledge that you over reacted. Many less intuitive people could not do either of there things.

2. Other than making it awkward (or impossible) to return to your favourite bar, no real harm has been done, and you have had a wake-up call that I’m sure you can learn from.

You're bitching about poor IPA choice and they're pouring Great Divide Fresh Hop?!?!?!

The problem existed between the stool and bar IMO. Bartender was fine.

I pulled out my wallet put down a $20, then slapped the full pint of great divide across the bar, breaking the glass and spilling good beer all over the backside of the bar.

I love this bar, know 80% of the people there by name, always tip great (usually about 30%), and about 5 days ago the owner josh thanked my brother and I for being such loyal guests. I can't believe this, I feel stabbed in the back!

Just because you know people, tip well, and are loyal does not mean you can be a dick. You know bartenders are just there to pour beer and when they have to deal with people complaining about something that is many times out of their control, I am sure it wears on them. Sometimes I am sure they would rather not have a person as a customer than have to listen to their **** all night.

I'm not sure how being indecicive about what beer you want qualifies as complaining. And even if you had been complaining, the bartender was out of line to say such a thing.
You, however were FAR out of line in sending the glass across the room. Had you struck and injured someone, the liability would rest on the bar. I've seen this happen before.

Saying that, I have definetly had the experience of being treated that way before. This reminds me of one experience in particular.
There was a popular bar & BBQ in Santa Fe, NM that I would spend a good amount of my time and money at. Like you, I knew most of the staff and regulars by name. One night I had been there for a while and had a few when a ladyfriend of mine called me. She had a really bad day and had been crying. I told her to come on down so I could buy her a drink and we could talk. The bartender that night was someone I considered a good acquaintence as we had mutual friends and hung out outside of the bar scene occasionally. When my ladyfriend showed up, she was sober but her eyes were red from crying all day. I ordered two beers, one for her and one for I. The bartender returned with my beer and told me my friend couldn't be served because she was already drunk. I argued that she was not for a minute before turning to a manager (whom I also knew). I explained to the manager and nearby bouncer that I understand that while they cannot serve intoxicated persons, my friend was not drunk, but had been crying. They didn't believe me and after another minute or so of arguing my point, the manager says "well, if she isn't drunk, she's f**ked up on something" which was my breaking point. I screamed "She's just happens to work with troubled kids and DOES NOT do drugs!!" (true), before screaming "F**K YOU! F**K THIS PLACE! I'M NEVER COMING BACK HERE!!!" at the top of my lungs while I worked my way to the door. We took our business elsewhere that night and it was probably 9-10 months before I set foot in that place again.

The bar staff was guilty of poor judgement for serving me (drunk) and not serving my sober friend. They were also in the wrong for accusing my friend of being on drugs. I know I was out of line for causing a scene, but at no time did I put the bar's patrons at risk of injury, which you did by throwing that glass.

You know, on some other message board there is a thread titled "Worst bar patron experience ever!"

I don't doubt that he was disrespectful to you but since we are only hearing your side of the story, I'm sure what he said wasn't as harsh as you have worded it. No matter the situation, in my opinion, you were the one in the wrong for causing a scene.

I'm not sure how being indecicive about what beer you want qualifies as complaining. And even if you had been complaining, the bartender was out of line to say such a thing.
You, however were FAR out of line in sending the glass across the room. Had you struck and injured someone, the liability would rest on the bar. I've seen this happen before.

Saying that, I have definetly had the experience of being treated that way before. This reminds me of one experience in particular.
There was a popular bar & BBQ in Santa Fe, NM that I would spend a good amount of my time and money at. Like you, I knew most of the staff and regulars by name. One night I had been there for a while and had a few when a ladyfriend of mine called me. She had a really bad day and had been crying. I told her to come on down so I could buy her a drink and we could talk. The bartender that night was someone I considered a good acquaintence as we had mutual friends and hung out outside of the bar scene occasionally. When my ladyfriend showed up, she was sober but her eyes were red from crying all day. I ordered two beers, one for her and one for I. The bartender returned with my beer and told me my friend couldn't be served because she was already drunk. I argued that she was not for a minute before turning to a manager (whom I also knew). I explained to the manager and nearby bouncer that I understand that while they cannot serve intoxicated persons, my friend was not drunk, but had been crying. They didn't believe me and after another minute or so of arguing my point, the manager says "well, if she isn't drunk, she's f**ked up on something" which was my breaking point. I screamed "She's just happens to work with troubled kids and DOES NOT do drugs!!" (true), before screaming "F**K YOU! F**K THIS PLACE! I'M NEVER COMING BACK HERE!!!" at the top of my lungs while I worked my way to the door. We took our business elsewhere that night and it was probably 9-10 months before I set foot in that place again.

The manager is going to back up the bartender when it comes to cutting someone off. Period. Sometimes the manager will override the bartender and cut someone off who the bartender would otherwise serve but it never ever ever happens the other way. If the bartender suspects someone is too intoxicated to serve they have to follow those instincts because there's too much at stake if they ignore them. He's selling a product that could potentially kill someone and some people are all too willing to try to get to that point. It's a terrible responsibility IMHO. He was doing his job. You being his friend outside of his place of work has nothing to do with that. Your only options are to respect the bartender's judgement or go elsewhere. Causing a scene only makes the bartender feel more justified with his decision.

As you have admitted, your reaction was not good. You should have finished your beer (why waste good beer, no matter how angry you are?), paid, left no tip and complain loudly to the manager and to the owner, since he has acknowledged his appreciation for your business. If the bartender doesn't want to hear customers complaints, get another line of work, dipsh!t.

That said, the bartender was an ass, plain and simple, and needs reprimanding. Anyone who says otherwise has their head up theirs! Jeesus! Marshall Field's first rule applies here: "The customer is always right as long as she thinks she is." The manager needs to correct this, even if it means not backing up his employee. Bartenders are a dime a dozen. Loyal customers are not.

Bartender was an ass, you made an asinine response. You were both out of line, I'm not sure why everyone has the barkeep's back. At least you realize it, the barkeep is probably still oblivious to the fact that he screwed up.

You may have felt you were only indecisive, but according to your play by play, you were complaining.

As far as why some of us are supportive of the bartender, violent customer always trumps ******* employee. As I said before, OP was in the right until he made his choice, then the bartender HAD to 86 him and the owner/manager HAS to back him up.

Screw that bartender, I completely understand why the OP lost his cool. Was it a good idea to throw a glass, probably not, but I guarantee the bartender got reprimaned after that incident. I've never heard of a server being so rude to a customer. I don't really care if the guy's dog died, if he comes into work he should act professional and polite. I personally wouldn't go back to a place like that and would try to keep my beer drinking friends away from there as well.

You're bitching about poor IPA choice and they're pouring Great Divide Fresh Hop?!?!?!

The problem existed between the stool and bar IMO. Bartender was fine.

Although I will point out that Great Divide's Fresh hop is not an IPA, but an APA. :D

Although I will point out that Great Divide's Fresh hop is not an IPA, but an APA. :D

LOL! Yeah, but come on, it's a good deal better than 95% of the beer in my small town, no matter what style it is.

Both people were acting poorly. I don't think it's wrong to complain about beer selection. I think it's wrong to throw a glass over calling someone out on it!

As far as I'm concerned, if the bartender wants to keep customers, and improve his tip base, then he should be willing to be a part-time therapist as well as a drink server.

That doesn't mean breaking a glass is appropriate. Especially if the "problem" is that there are too many IPAs to choose from! :D

that said, the bartender was an ass, plain and simple, and needs reprimanding. Anyone who says otherwise has their head up theirs! Jeesus! Marshall field's first rule applies here: "the customer is always right as long as she thinks she is." the manager needs to correct this, even if it means not backing up his employee. Bartenders are a dime a dozen. Loyal customers are not.

+1

I've got an appointment to talk to Josh, the owner. I'll update afterward, but I have not given up. I will be going back after this is resolved.

I think you might have lost any "cred" you had after slamming the glass. That said, I don't go into Barley's a whole lot (I work 2nd shift and don't get to go out at dinner time much). When I do I'm always indecisive. They have hundreds of freaking beers. Its sensory overload. Maybe to the bartenders/severs it looks like I'm being picky? In my mind, I'm like a kid in a candy store. I can't make a split second decision with over 50 beers on tap and even more in bottles. I'm guessing the bartender misread you.

Most of my experiences with Barley's bartenders have not been the best. I've never had an incident, but they all seem to be pissy, rude snobby and pretty big dicks in general. One time, I heard a guy ask for something similar to Michelob. Instead of pointing him towards a lighter craft beer (prima pils etc), he answered "water". Yea, it was funny, but I'm sure that guy never went back.

One time, I heard a guy ask for something similar to Michelob. Instead of pointing him towards a lighter craft beer (prima pils etc), he answered "water".

So what's his username on HBT? ;)

I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said, besides perhaps getting another kick in at the bartender (OP has been berated enough for the glass-throwing, I think). But I do think I understand the manager for backing up his employee, at least initially.

My first job was at a family pizza place with a sports bar attached to it. It was right next to the local university, so we had a good amount of business from college kids at the take-out, the restaurant, and the bar. One day a college kid tried to get into the bar, but was denied because he forgot his ID. He got really mad and started shouting at the bouncer, who still refused to let him in. He then said he was going home to get his ID, all the while shouting at the bouncer. The bouncer told him not to bother coming back, because they weren't going to let him in anyway.

One of the managers was there, and told the guy that he was fine to come in after he had his ID. This ended up causing quite a scene as the bouncer quit immediately.

The bartender was certainly wrong to say those things, and to escalate the situation. But if I were the manager in that situation, I'd back up my employee first and them yell at him later.

Hey, maybe the bartender was bustin' your chops in a sarcastic way, just like you were bustin' his. What goes around comes around.... If you have any thoughts of patronizing that bar again you'd better be ready to give that bartender an apology & a big hug! Just 'cause you're the "customer" doesn't make you right all the time. Cheers!!!

Sounds like a love spat.

Now you and the bartender can kiss and make up.

First off let me say to you. Thank you for serving our country if thats what you were doing in Iraq. Second that bartender sucks! If you ever worked in the service industry like I have you never ever ever critisize a patron like that....to there face at least. That bartender needs to get over it. I had people come in and ***** and complain about everything and I was a barback. Yet maybe you wern't right about throwing the glass or whatever but who cares. Patrons deserve the respect first....

You wouldn't do well in Wisconsin towny-bars. So the Barkeep was a bit rude; that gives you the right to smash a glass full of beer? That's pretty nuts man. If you want to go back, bring a nice bottle of whatever it is the bartender likes to drink and apologize all day long for being such an ass.

Text never tell the whole story, but it sounds like the bartender was just telling you how you acted and that he didn't really like it. You could have said something like 'sorry, I didn't realize, I really like it here.'

Ignoring people stops working when you turn 8.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, I am just reading what you wrote and telling you what I am sure the other guys are thinking about you.

Actually, Fresh Hop falls completely out of BJCP's APA specs. The bottle may say Pale Ale, but anyone who's tasted it would consider its 55 IBU and 6% ABV an IPA.

At this point, I think you should have a clear, concise, emotionless conversation with the owner about the facts of the matter and let him handle his job.
Then you go back, look the bartender in the eye and say "I am sorry for my behavior last time I was in." No more, no less. He will return it, then you both can put it behind you. If not, you know where you stand.
I have a service person at a factory I work with that has recently taught me a valuable lesson: I have to deal with you but I don't have to like you.

I disagree that the customer is always right; that's a pretty selfish and rude way of looking at anything. Nobody is always right. I also disagree that a customer deserves anymore respect than an employee. All people deserve the same respect until you cross a line, which you both did. By the way, the only way I can get my bar to get anything other than BMC is if I promise the owner I will drink it until it's gone. Luckily she will order just about anything for me though.

At this point, I think you should have a clear, concise, emotionless conversation with the owner about the facts of the matter and let him handle his job.
Then you go back, look the bartender in the eye and say "I am sorry for my behavior last time I was in." No more, no less. He will return it, then you both can put it behind you. If not, you know where you stand.
I have a service person at a factory I work with that has recently taught me a valuable lesson: I have to deal with you but I don't have to like you.

This is right along the lines with what i am planning. I am hoping Josh can discuss this in a manner where sides are not taken. I'd rather the bartender not lose his job either, but with the way restaurants and bars run in SC, especially Greenville, I could see it happening. I've worked behind a bar a good bit, right now I'm serving tables to get the bills paid. At all the service industry places I've worked at, I would have been terminated on the spot.

Like i said, i hope he doesn't lose his job, and hopefully this gets resolved and i can return.

I pulled out my wallet put down a $20, then slapped the full pint of great divide across the bar, breaking the glass and spilling good beer all over the backside of the bar.!

I certainly hope it was just an ordinary pint glass. Wouldn't want to break one of those nice glasses like a Guiness!

I say go back and settle things if you like going there.

I think the bartender has a good point. What they have on tap is what they have on tap. If you like the beers and the food, great, keep coming in. If you don't like it, vote with your feet. There are probably other places to drink in your town.

If some guy came over to your place and dissed on your beer every time he came by, what would your reaction be after awhile? "Hey man, geez why do you have that crappy porter on tap everytime I come by, can't you make something good like the people at Budweiser?"

You'd take that sitting down?

And then when you call the guy on it he smashes a glass on your basement bar?

I'm guessing you'd be kicking his ass into next week.

Think about it.

I think the bartender has a good point. What they have on tap is what they have on tap. If you like the beers and the food, great, keep coming in. If you don't like it, vote with your feet. There are probably other places to drink in your town.

If some guy came over to your place and dissed on your beer every time he came by, what would your reaction be after awhile? "Hey man, geez why do you have that crappy porter on tap everytime I come by, can't you make something good like the people at Budweiser?"

Think about it.

Except he's in a bar where he's the paying customer not some moocher friend stopping by to sample his swill. apples=/= oranges:cross:

Not defending the OP because he was wrong to get so butt-hurt over the bartender's tongue lashing, but the bartender has some culpability in the matter, too.

Think about it.

If i had known it had bothered anybody I would have not said a word about it. I had a friendly conversation with him the other day about my next brew, and what it was gonna be. No hint at all that i ever did anything to ever bother him. I am just thinking, "what the hell happened that day to make him blow up like that."

If a bartender can't take a guy complaining about something as mundain as beer, they're not equipped mentally to be a barkeep. And while I agree with rjwhite that the customer is not always right, it was a bonehead move by the bartender that sparked the whole ordeal well before the customer was ever wrong.

Back