Worried my wort may not be fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeFreeorDie

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

Let say in advance, I've attempted to use the search on this mobile app for homebrew talk, and can't seem to find something relevant to my situation.

Like many, I'm new to this hobby, and cooked my first batch of a hoppy West coast style IPA last night. I'm pretty excited to see this do it's magic....

I tossed the yeast in the wort after dissolving it in warm water, per the instructions, and funneled it into the carboy last night. Approximately 4 hours after brewing, I had some good movement in the airlock. This morning, all activity seemed to cease, and now 24 hours later, there still doesn't appear to be any activity. (No CO2 production, no bubbles on top of wort.).

Is this something anyone has experienced? Should I be thinking about putting more yeast in? Thanks in advance. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392778878.719484.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks fine to me. Depending on the yeast strain and the gravity of the wort fermentation can range from raging to mellow.

My advice: brew another batch so you can stop thinking about the first one for another couple of weeks.

Sorry gents, that picture was right after transfer into the carboy. Here's a current one.

I'll throw down another batch, but if I add yeast, what are everyone's thoughts on it potentially taking the bait?ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392780940.328655.jpg

Yeah I would say that it all looks good. If you are concerned about the yeast not working, you can swirl around the carboy to get the yeast moving.

Thanks guys. I'll post an update and course(s) of action.

I should add that I used BRY-97 American West Coast Yeast (by Danstar), and my OG reading was 1.099.

Im guessing you dry pitched the yeast?... fir s beer with a gravity thst high I would have definitely made A starter. Just give it a good swirl. You could have stressed the yeast into replication mode. They could just be building cells. Gold luck!!

Sent from richard simmons' living room

Im guessing you dry pitched the yeast?... fir s beer with a gravity thst high I would have definitely made A starter. Just give it a good swirl. You could have stressed the yeast into replication mode. They could just be building cells. Gold luck!!

Sent from richard simmons' living room

I did dry pitch. I spoke to someone at the local supplies store. As most would suggest, he told me to check the SG. He then recommended fermaid K along with another hydrated pitch of BRY-97.

I have been trying to keep the temp below 70*F, but it's pretty difficult with this California heat. I'm at 72*F right now.

My change in SG is 0.026 (1.099-1.073), so it appears activity is occurring, albeit non visible!

I couldn't resist and re-pitched with the Fermaid K and BRY-97. I have a feeling I'm due for an overflow, but we'll see what happens. I've fallen victim to curiosity and experimentation now.

Back