Worried about first brewing attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Jergler

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA using a kit that I bought from a local homebrewing store. I feel I completed all the steps adequately and sterilized properly, but after a week-and-a-half I went to check the final gravity and while it was right about at what was recommended on the kit the beer was very cloudy and had particles in it. I believe it has another half-week to go before bottling, but I'm worried that the beer is going to turn out bad. Any thoughts?

I brewed an IPA using a kit that I bought from a local homebrewing store. I feel I completed all the steps adequately and sterilized properly, but after a week-and-a-half I went to check the final gravity and while it was right about at what was recommended on the kit the beer was very cloudy and had particles in it. I believe it has another half-week to go before bottling, but I'm worried that the beer is going to turn out bad. Any thoughts?

Stop worrying. You just made beer.

The particles are normal. If you scan the forums a bit, particularly the “Is my beer infected” thread you will see many others have had similar questions. Most of the time its fine.

Give the beer time and after another week, if possible put it in a cool place..38-48F for a few days. You’ll see most of those particles will drop.

Congrats in your first brew

Sorry to double post, but your main worry at this point should be what meal are you going to have in a few weeks with that freshly carbed IPA.

Resist the urge to look under the lid for another week.

Yea don't be worrying. Give the beer some time. Could be some particles from the hops. My first beer there wasn't a proper seal on the fermenting bucket and the airlock didn't bubble, I was convinced it was going to get infected. The beer ended up just fine. First beers will always provide more questions than answers.

Good luck with it, I am sure it is just fine.

It will be great, give it time like others said.

That moment when you pour your first homebrew :rock:

Hard lesson to learn - it is beer, not a child. There are lots of chances to get it right.

First - it all sounds normal. Particles and cloudy are minor processing issues that are more aesthetic at the stage fermentation is in. Could easily clear up.

Second - if something goes wrong, try again.

Back