Worried about bottle bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesnsw

Reaction score
First batch- an Amber Ale extract kit. Here's the
Batch Record if you want more info, or ask.

Anyways, the kit instructions said "fill up to the 5th rung of the carboy... my carboy didn't have 5 rungs... so I filled it up to where I thought it was supposed to be.

Come bottle day, I boiled 3/4 cup sugar in 1 cup water, put it in my bucket, and racked the beer in. Come to find out it was 4 gallons of wort...

So now I bottled (38 bottles) and now I'm wondering if there will be too much carbonation. I assume it will be carbonated more than usual... but will it blow the tops? I have it in plastic bags just in case.
Thanks.

I think you will be fine. It will just be a little over carbonated. If I was you I would be marking my carboy so I knew how much was in it. ;)

Hmmm...he brings up a point here now that I'm thinking about it. I brewed about .5 gallon short for my first batch, should I lower the amount of priming sugar supplied for the kit?

I would not worry much, my first batch, I put a cup and a quarter of sugar in 4 gallons of beer. It was fine, very carbonated, but fine. I just let the beer sit in the glass a few minutes and the carbonation settled and the beeer was great.

Just did the same thing an hour ago. I had 4 gal and put in a full 5 gal worth of priming sugar. Looks like my Irish Red will be one carbonated beer.

I see the experts haven't responded yet so here is my view.

Don't worry your beer will be fine. I have bottled more than one low yeild batche w/o bombs.

My first post was a bottle bomb question. Since that post I feel confident that if
1 the fermentation is complete ( what is the FG?) and
2 there is no infection

Bottle bombs are unlikely.

I can't wait to hear what Revvy or Yooper have to say.

Regards

My first post was a bottle bomb question. Since that post I feel confident that if
1 the fermentation is complete ( what is the FG?) and
2 there is no infection

Bottle bombs are unlikely.

I feel rather confident that fermentation is complete. The gravity was about 1.019 for 10 days, and there has been absolutely no bubbling or movement in those 10 days.
Infection... not positive, but it tastes good?

Thanks all for your comforting words... my housemates would be unlikely to let me brew again if i set any of them off.

1.019 isn't all that low, but stable for ten days probably means it is done. My ambers finish a touch lower, 1.016, not much different)
If if tastes good, that is... well, good!
Just to be safe you could put them in a plastic bin (bomb shelter) just in case, but I think you're fine.

All systems are go.

Regards.

I think 3/4 cup will come out about right for your batch. Before I started priming by weight, I used 3/4 cup for 5 gallons and it always seemed to come out undercarbonated, now I use 5 ounces (scale weight) for most styles and it's closer to 7/8 cup of corn sugar.

Come bottle day, I boiled 3/4 cup sugar in 1 cup water, put it in my bucket, and racked the beer in. Come to find out it was 4 gallons of wort...

I did the exact same thing on my first batch (Scotch Ale). The end result was a darker, heavier, higher alcohol content, great tasting beer. Carbonation has been fine. It's been 7 weeks since bottling and they keep getting better each week!

Back