Wormy Apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShariP

Reaction score
Two years ago, we had a bumper crop of Golden Delicious apples, and I made applejack. It was great! We have a lot of apples again this year, but some of them are wormy. The worms are really small, and don't even show up a lot of the time until you cut the apples open. I can't see cutting up a hundred pounds of apples before crushing. Will this completely ruin the applejack? Or can I just think of them as the worm in the mescal bottle?:D
Thanks for any feedback.

I have the same problem. I was hoping that since the juice is getting filtered when I press, and I'm pasteurizing the juice before I ferment, that it shouldn't make for any problems. But I'm still worried about any taste from the insects? I have heard the worms taste just like the apples, but I havent built up the courage to try it...

I was told by a very reputable apple grower that one consumes millions of maggotts (or traces thereof) and larvae when consuming apple juice/cider. There aren't many varieties of apples that can stand up to maggotts.

That being said, I would discard any visible infected apples. Roll the dice on the rest.

What doesn't kill ya will only make you stronger. And your cider will have enhanced proteins. ;)

^ Hahaha! I just believed it because I figured all their eating is apple, so it made sense!

Back