Working with Grain Millers Inc Flaked Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Infidel

Reaction score
Austin, don't move here. We don't have water or sp
I have a bag of flaked rye from Grain Millers Inc out of Oregon. I would estimate it to be about 50% more dense than Briess. Smaller flakes, heavier. Up to now, the only brand of flaked grains I've used is Briess. The increased density has me wondering how it's going to act when wet. Best guess is a longer conversion time, don't do anything to break it up. Another part of me wants to say go ahead and run it through the mill a couple of times.
Generally, if someone were to ask me what the largest % of flaked grain to use in a mash I would say 20%, and then use rice hulls. Rye, with it's special glue properties I wouldn't want to give a recommendation because of a lack of first hand experience.
What informed guesses would someone have for the maximum percentage of a grain bill? The plan was to mash it in a HERMS system, but concerned about it sticking in a most unpleasant way. Step infusion being considered. Goal is for maximum flavor, conversion, and efficiency - in that order. Body is not desired, only sugars that yeast will happily devour.
Remainder of mash bill is 2-row, and an undecided amount of rice hulls.
Hopefully I don't report back with a story of how I made a giant batch of chicken feed, a headache and no beer to show for it.

Back