Working mini fridge models?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stageseven

Reaction score
Since kegconnection.com is having that awesome sale, I've decided to make the switch over to kegging. Since it's black Friday tomorrow I wanted to try to find a deal on a good mini fridge for a kegerator. Since it seems like the most common sanyo and frgidaire models are either hard to find or have gone up in price, what are some good cheaper models for a kegerator. I'm looking for something that can hold 2 corny kegs and a 5# tank with a 2 tap tower on top. I was also looking at small chest freezers, like a 5 cu ft unit. Are there any advantages to going that route?

Are those large enough? I thought the sanyo model that worked for a kegerator was 4.8 cu ft.

Thanks mikfire, but it looks like they've stopped making that model. The new one isn't bad on price, but it's got a heck of a freezer compartment. Anyone have any luck with one of the new models? From other pictures I've seen it looks like there's screws in the bottom plate so it's probably able to be taken apart.

I was really set at first on a small fridge as being ideal, but the more I'm looking almost everything that seems usable is in the $200+ range. On the other hand, a 5 cf chest freezer is around $130. Anyone ever use a Holiday LCM050LC? Is it as much of a pain having the taps on top of the lid as I think it would be?

If you scrolled down in the linked thread, you would have seen that the difference between the models is the door. The freezer is the same. Its just a piece of plastic that can be removed.

I realize the thread is very long, but if you look about 50 page in, you will find a link to a blog post about converting the newer model.

Edit:

Sorry, it was in a different, longer thread.

Here is the blog post about moding the current version of the fridge.

Thanks guys, I ended up getting that Frigidaire model. That walkthrough will be really helpful in getting it together, so thanks for posting that as well! At least now I won't have to worry about making sure everything will fit. Can't wait to get it all together. :mug:

Latest posts

Back