Work out music

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Reaction score
I am in a rut music wise. I usually workout for 45 minutes a day on the elliptical. I usually warm up for 22 minutes watching the Daily Show on my ipod then I switch to music. For the last many months all I have been able to listen to is Costello Music by the Fratellis. I love the album and it really gets me into the workout. But after a few months I am getting tired of it. But I don't have much that gets me into the groove as well as that album

Does anyone have some good music they can recommend for working out?

If you don't know the Fratellis check them out:

Best video ever by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pantera, baby! Nothing makes me want to punish myself like listening to some Pantera. :rockin:

Never listened to the fratellis but, depending on what kind of music you're into, these could work...

• The Go! Team
  • The White Stripes
  • Lily Allen
  • Junior Boys
  • Daft Punk (oh yeah, perfect workout musik)
  • Groove Armada
  • Basement Jaxx
  • Beck ("The Information")
  • Styx ("Too Much Time on My Hands" is the single best workout song ever)
  • The Coup
  • Massive Attack
  • Flaming Lips (Free Radicals, et al)
  • The Hives
  • The Rakes

Just a smattering...

for working out I definitely need something fast and energetic. I'll second the Pantera. Cradle of Filth has been one of my workout favorites. Old KMFDM, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, and Rammstein are also some of my common work out selections

Evan! said:
Never listened to the fratellis but, depending on what kind of music you're into, these could work...

• Daft Punk (oh yeah, perfect workout musik)
  • Groove Armada
  • Basement Jaxx
  • Beck ("The Information")

+1...

ksajdlas

Speaking of gym music...(slightly :off:)

I was getting dressed after my lunch lift session today and this middle aged dude who, guessing from his choice of dress and hairstyle, thought he was Magnum PI, walks into the locker room. He's got the outside-ear pad-type headphones that came standard with Walkmen in 1990, so you can hear it loud and clear. He comes strolling in with this tough guy look on his face, which wouldn't be such a big deal if he didn't have the Rocky theme blasting in those 'phones. The whole thing together made for a truly hilarious scene...

BierMuncher said:
Trance...2 3 4

I tried trance...only works for running. There's a podcast called FitPod where they do 60 or 90 mins of their own mixed trance music, set to a certain BPM. It's pretty cool. But only if I'm outside running. Otherwise it just drives me crazy after awhile.

ohiobrewtus said:
Pantera is far from Death Metal... you hippie. :D

Sorry, you're right, Pantera is 80's hair band rock...

Cracked.com said:
panterapast2.jpg

It's hard to choose the most shameful aspect of the complete travesty that was 1980's Pantera. Was it the teased hairdos and leopard skin spandex, the emasculating combination of which made it look as though Warrant could kick their ass? Was it the fact that most of their lyrics from this era make Alanis Morissette's early offerings look like the lost works of T.S. Eliot? Or was it this:

panterapast3.jpg

Their tracks often had ridiculous, innuendo titles that would even make Prince roll his eyes (see "Ride My Rocket," "Come-On Eyes" and "Nothin' On But The Radio"). For a taste of the shameful horror they were inflicting upon audiences during this era, check out this pansified verse from 1985's "Forever Tonight":

I wanna feel you in my arms
I wanna love you til the emptiness is gone
Take my hand
Tonite could be the nite
Understand my heart is cryin'
Oooooooooh, forever tonite

Yeah, we're talking Michael Bolton territory here.

While the above list of indiscretions is unquestionably disturbing, it's frightening to think that none of these are dire enough to qualify as the worst of their career. Yes, despite some humiliating fashion choices, despite once having a lead singer with the boy band name of Donnie Hart, even despite the fact that umpteenth vocalist Phil Anselmo at one point appeared to steal Cyndi Lauper's hairdo, the band somehow managed to concoct something even more embarrassing.

Our vote for the ultimate lowlight of Pantera's career is the following excerpt from 1985's "Hot and Heavy":

Take a look at my ice cream cone baby
Go ahead, take a lick
Can't wait to take you home
Beat you with my stick

Yeah.

:D

I'm not a big metal guy anymore, but this song still kicks so much ****ing ass it's not even funny.

[YOUTUBE]ONZ9bL2WGBE[/YOUTUBE]

Pantera reminds me of RATT. It all makes me shudder now.

Aside from GnR I am happy leaving the 80's metal in the 80's.

I am looking up some of these names I haven't seen anything that catches my eye or I don't have.

I guess I like workout music a bit more upbeat like the Pogues or SKA or Primus. I guess there is a certain beat that I like

Back