Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new one is the over use of the phrase "called an audible" especially when it's used anywhere outside of a football game...

We deal with an organization at work and their catchphrase seems to be "reach out to you" as in "we just wanted to reach out to you and ask you how you came up with this figure."

You're not reaching out to us, you're asking a question. That annoys me to no end.

We deal with an organization at work and their catchphrase seems to be "reach out to you" as in "we just wanted to reach out to you and ask you how you came up with this figure."

You're not reaching out to us, you're asking a question. That annoys me to no end.

Very similar to this, but different: I used to work in sales for a company where a large number of reps would start conversations almost exclusively with some variation of "Hey buddy, just wanted to touch base..."

We're not buddies. This isn't baseball. Do you really only have one line to start a conversation with?

Respect is NOT a verb......

There is no way to disrespect anyone. You can show disrespect, you can be disrespectful, but you absolutely CANNOT disrepect anyone.

"Right?!"

Ugh, I hate it, almost as much as neglecting to use personal pronouns (usually typed in texts or social networks). For example:

"Love it!"

Urrgghhhh

Pretty Awesome.

There are no degrees of awesome.

Either something is awesome or it is not awesome.

Nothing is pretty awesome

I don't know. Five guys burgers are pretty awesome.

Nope. Can't be. They are either awesome or they are not. I would say not, though. The Grand Canyon is awesome. The Pacific Ocean is awesome. God speaking to you from behind a burning bush is awesome. Hamburgers are not awesome. ;)

What if someone is both pretty and awesome?

A person can be pretty. A person can be awesome. Nothing can be pretty awesome:D

Oh, you will. You will.

In their defense, what else would you call a tablet that can also make phone calls? As phones grow bigger and tablets get smaller, they're converging on a new market space and the term "phablet" seems to be gaining traction to describe these new hybrid devices.

You just shut your face right now, dammit!

Randy_Bugger said:
Worse is when someone says "I know, right?" For example: Person#1 - These potato chips are too salty. Person#2 - I know, right? Typically uttered by females with an annoying voice too. :mad:

So true

"Persons."

The plural of "person" is "people." Security/police personnel seem to be the worst (only?) offenders with this one.

"At that time I observed 3 persons enter the residence through the side entrance..." Why can't you just say people?

Along the same lines, why do cops say a vehicle is "occupied 2 times?" Why can't they just say they are 2 people in the vehicle? And even if they have to say "occupied," why do they say "2 times?" Why can't they say "twice?"

Argh!

speaking of security/police, it's disturbing they use the term "CIVILIANS," like they're an occupying army referring to non-combatants

here in the US, those of us who are not first responders are "CITIZENS"

Informatisist

What the hell is that?

Let's do a languistic breakdown.....

Info - information
r - uhh... are
mat - something that lies flat on the floor that people walk on
is - well... to be, I suppose
ist - who knows....

So, Information are lying flat and walked on. It really does exist, and in the end, it gets a bit confusing.

That explains it perfectly.

speaking of security/police, it's disturbing they use the term "CIVILIANS," like they're an occupying army referring to non-combatants

here in the US, those of us who are not first responders are "CITIZENS"
As a fireman, I can understand this one. I am also a citizen - and my actions as a FF do not change that. On an incident scene, you've got police, fire, EMS, etc. Anyone that does not fall into those categories are civilian. (Part of that stems from the fact that despite being non-military organizations, police and fire both use para-military rank structure; captain, lieutenant, etc.)

But you hit on another one. First responder. STOP IT. A first responder is someone medically trained above the basic first aid level, but below the EMT-B level. They basically do CPR/AED, spinal stabilization, and some first aid. In my area, if a town doesn't have an ambulance based out of it, the fire department is trained in first response -- you call 911, and the fire department shows up and does the preliminary basic stuff while the ambulance is en route from the nearest base. I'm a firefighter, but there's an ALS (Advanced Life Support) ambulance based less than 1/2 mile from my fire station. As such, my department does no medical calls, and the extent of our training is the required CPR/AED.

"First Responder" is NOT a catch-all for anyone that shows up with the pretty flashing lights on their truck. Call us Fire/EMS. Call us emergency personnel. But don't call us first responders.

On a brewing and HBT related note, "sanitization" bothers me. I know it's a real word but it still bugs me.

"Athleticism" is another one in that same vein.

Pretty Awesome.

There are no degrees of awesome.

Either something is awesome or it is not awesome.

Nothing is pretty awesome
in the same vein: unique.

something CANNOT be very unique, somewhat unique, increasingly unique... unique, like awesome, is binary: something is unique or it isn't. you can't become "more unique".

How about "unanswered points"? Especially when a football announcer uses it right after a touchdown and before they've kicked it to the other team. "The Saints have scored 21 unanswered points!" No they have scored 14 unanswered points and will now give the Panthers an opportunity to answer to the last 7.

How about "unanswered points"? Especially when a football announcer uses it right after a touchdown and before they've kicked it to the other team. "The Saints have scored 21 unanswered points!" No they have scored 14 unanswered points and will now give the Panthers an opportunity to answer to the last 7.
wow, never thought of that.

i supposed one defense of the statement would be there there is an implied "up until now": The Saints have scored 21 unanswered points as of this this moment. so when the Panthers do score a touchdown (work with me here), there remains the fact that at one point the Saints scored 21 without the Panthers scoring any.

in the news the last couple weeks, every time there's a mass casualty event, the headlines are "death toll rises" or "death toll expected to rise"

I understand that it will continue to rise until it stops, but rising or expected to rise is not news. as long as rescue and recovery operations are underway, the death toll may continue to rise

it is much more newsworthy and PLEASE advise the public when the death toll starts FALLING or is EXPECTED TO FALL.

thank you

Latest posts

Back