Wordpress woes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwistedGray

El Jefe Brewing Company
Reaction score
Can someone with some website skills, particular in Wordpress, give me an idea where I went wrong?

I had a website I was working on (clusterphok.com) which was running perfectly fine. I was going to erase what I had already done, useless crap, and built anew. So, I swapped out the URLs this morning under the Settings tab on Wordpress admin side with a new URL (eljefebrewing.com).

Now, since doing that I can no longer access the admin side of clusterphok.com nor can I for eljefebrewing.com. It is smart enough for a redirect when trying to go to the clusterphok admin, but it still times out.

The new URL seems to be "up" and "operational" so I don't think it's a registry issue; however, I have no idea what I should do next.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Is there an A record for the new domain pointed at the IP of the server?

Is there an A record for the new domain pointed at the IP of the server?

I wish I could answer that with some authority, but quite honestly it's all jibberish to me. I figured I would have simply been able to swap URLs in Wordpress, and it would've just worked out on its own. Clearly I was wrong...

Could it be that I was using Hostgator on the previous site, and I bought the new URL from Godaddy? Is it that the Godaddy site isn't pointing to Hostgator, and that's the issue?

...maybe that's what you were asking @ong?

The old domain has a “zone file” that points at a particular IP address, which is the unique address of your server. The new domain needs to resolve to the same numerical address. This is done by logging into the registrar’s site (godaddy in this case) and editing the domain.

Once that’s done you need to tell Apache on your server what to do when traffic comes in to that domain. Hostgator most likely has cpanel or some other user interface for handling that, but you may want to get tech support from your host to help.

Just a WAG, but two ideas:

Double check where your domain hosting is forwarding to

Go into your web hosting under the SQL (or maybe an actual file) and undo your edits.

I played with WP for years. It can be amazing, but also very finicky and frustrating on occasion. Barring those ideas, you could wipe out the whole file directory and do a fresh install using the old SQL database which should populate most of your content.

Latest posts

Back