Word to the wise on dry hopping length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-adjunct-hippie

aspiring brewgenius
Reaction score
Just cracked my first bottle of Belma and Calypso hopped NEIPA.

I've heard Whispers that you can get grassy flavors with dry hopping for extended periods.

I forgot about my batch and dry hopped for 15 days.

It's pure lawnmower clippings. Undrinkable!

So probably keep the DH'ing to a week-to-ten days, maybe less!

I like 5 Days. If it needs more I pull the hops and add a fresh set for another 5 days.

I dry hop for 2, maybe 3 days at room temperature. It's more than enough. I could never let myself dry hop again for 5-7 days or even longer. There are articles, threads, experiements out there underlining the fact that you do not need more than 24-48 hours contact time.

I've always wondered how the original IPA's made it to India with pounds of dry hops in the barrels and no mention of grassyness in any accounts. So I thought wood might have something to do with it so I dryhopped a Saison in a 5 gal barrel for 4 months. I then brought the keg to a beer meeting, and not one grass or veg comment.

It’s gotta be personal taste, I have dry hopped for days, weeks and now that I dry hop in a keg it could be months and I have never had a grass flavor at all.

I've always wondered how the original IPA's made it to India with pounds of dry hops in the barrels and no mention of grassyness in any accounts.
Hop character fades with time. It might have taken a year or more for the IPA produced in the UK to get to its final destination in India aboard sailing ships. The beer was in tropical heat for most of the time.
To the OP, if you have the storage space, don't dump the "grass clippings" beer, put it to the back of the closet and come back to it in 6, 12 and 18 months and see what happens.

Last edited:
I’m dry hopping my NEIPA for 2 weeks. Done this before with good results. I have yet to have a grassy beer.

I'm sure some hops impart more grassy flavors than others.

The nose is really fantastic on this beer. But you tip it back...BAM! lots of cud. I will try aging it awhile and see if that grassy character fades!

I can't stand keg hops after about 2 days but I have found active ferment hops can stay for ages.
I think it's one of those personal sensitivity things. Plastic taste gets me quite easily too.
Never noticed any DMS for What it's worth

Back