Wooden Keezer Collar Stain Fail- (?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1BigBear

Reaction score
Collar came out OK, but on closer inspection I missed 'something' around the tap handles →(yeah, I simply should have took them off) duh-

Edit- I only applied the FINISH.. after Taps were inserted. Stained everything first-(Forgot to apply finish I was so eager to tap some kegs!)

Anyway by looking at the close-up picture you can see I missed either with a coat of stain, OR, I'm guessing my Minwax Clear Protective Finish. Applied with a small rubber brush.

I Re-applied some Finish to the areas, but it did NOT seem to help.
Don't want to stain over the Finish.....so, Actually, I don't know what to do at this point :confused:
Any wood/stain experts with some tips on how to fix this?
Thanks ~
BB

IMG_8933.jpg

IMG_9015.jpg

It looks to me like you missed a spot with the finish coat. I would take the faucets and the collar itself off and use a finishing wax over it all and it should cover up that little mistake.

take your faucets off then lightly sand the front with 220 grit. apply another coat or two of polyurethane and once dry reinstall your faucets. Very easy fix.

I agree with the above. Take some 220 and lightly sand it, apply more coats and you'll never know. Question though, what's up with the bolts?

Sent from DMAC's iPhone using Home Brew

Question though, what's up with the bolts?
I have a Frankenstein Fetish :ban:
baaah-
No, its a 14cu footer & it's 4 feet wide→ So I needed to be sure the oak stained collar was attached to the inside 2x8 collar real good. ~and I like Chrome.

Back