Woo hoo! New brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weconway

Reaction score
I know it's probably not a big deal for the masses, but I'm stoked about my new 10g brew kettle I put together. It is a Crestware heavy duty aluminum pot with a bargainfittings.com ball valve assembly and a pretty simple dip tube.

IMG_6699.jpg

Bargainfittings.com is awesome, and the new valve is super cool and works really well. The hole was easy to drill with a Uni-bit. I was pretty careful, and the hole was tight enough that the fitting threaded into the wall of the pot really tightly. The elbow on the inside is almost unnecessary for retaining the valve.

I ransacked the whole site looking for a good way to separate pellet hops from a boil, and I didn't really find much except for whirlpooling. So I constructed this dip tube with an elbow, a 1/2" barbed fitting and a short length of 1/2" silicone tube. Not only does the consistent 1/2" diameter drain 5 gallons super fast, but the dip tube is close enough to the bottom that I only left 1 cup of water in the pot. :ban:

IMG_6697.jpg

Since the tube is a section of tubing, I can raise it if it is too easily clogged by trimming a bit off.

I drilled a small hole in the lid and used a my old turkey fryer thermometer. I also got some cam-lock quick disconnects to attach my hose. Awesome!!!

This is such a huge upgrade over my old busted turkey fryer pot. I can't wait to get brewing on it!

i have their old style weldless fitting b/c i was nervous how the outside oring would hold up to a direct fire system.

Not sure how many brews you have done with a valve installed... this is just a heads ups. Put somekind of heat plate between the valve on your brew pot and your heat source!!!

Trust me

I'm concerned about heating too. That was another advantage of using the tubing as a dip tube, I can move the whole valve up an inch or so.

What do most people do about that? I noticed that my valve is higher up the side than on a Blichmann Boilermaker.

As for the external o-ring, that silicone is good to about 500*. I'm thinking that unless I just have flames licking over the sides it should be good.

FooFan - not that I don't trust you, but what happened?

The pot is entirely too clean. I'm going to fire it up this weekend!

I'm concerned about heating too. That was another advantage of using the tubing as a dip tube, I can move the whole valve up an inch or so.

What do most people do about that? I noticed that my valve is higher up the side than on a Blichmann Boilermaker.

As for the external o-ring, that silicone is good to about 500*. I'm thinking that unless I just have flames licking over the sides it should be good.

FooFan - not that I don't trust you, but what happened?

The pot is entirely too clean. I'm going to fire it up this weekend!

Sorry if this posts twice.. Don't know what happened to my first one.

My rubber handle started to melt. It was on fire and I had to put it out. The damage is not so bad you only notice it when you grab the handle and feel the bottom.

I don't have a rubber o ring on the outside of my brewpot so I am not sure about that. IMHO I think it might give you problems, I would keep a close eye on it. I use the large Bayo Classic and just a quick wind shift can make flames come out for anywhere.

My fix... I just took a small thing of sheetmetal and covered it in foil. I take it and place it between the valve and the burner. Now with the burner wide open the valve stays cool.

Atlanta area?!?!? we should hook up and brew someday!!! :mug:

Best of luck.. let us know how if works out for you.

Cheers

I got it at a restaurant supply store. I think I paid too much for it - it was $87 including the lid and tax. It's heavier than the standard Al pot. It weighs about 11 pounds or so!

Very nice! AND, your valve actually has the handle on the TOP! Benefit of a three piece valve I guess, to get my dip tube aligned properly my valve handle is practically upside down ;) Bleah...

I got it at a restaurant supply store. I think I paid too much for it - it was $87 including the lid and tax. It's heavier than the standard Al pot. It weighs about 11 pounds or so!

Very nice and exactly what I want to build! Is that 4mm or 6mm alu? I can get a 10gal 4mm alu Update International for $54 locally...

No joke. I was talking to the dudes at BMW (my LHBS) about having a local brew day. They can't do it for liability reasons. We should organize something! :ban:

Most definately.

I have a nice rig, but cant move it (i have a 350z) so we could do it at my house, or if we chose another location, ill just attend and bring a keg for us to drink in my portable setup.

Most definately.

I have a nice rig, but cant move it (i have a 350z) so we could do it at my house, or if we chose another location, ill just attend and bring a keg for us to drink in my portable setup.

Count me in...

So I fired up the kettle to season it by boiling water. The kettle overhangs the burner (hell yeah), so the spigot doesn't get the spillover that the rest of the pot does. Just to be safe, I put some foil over the handle. The foil never even got hot.

IMG_6522.jpg

There was no discernable heating of the o-ring.

One day when I build my brew stand I'll put a plate over the front to deflect heat away from the spigot.

Overall, I'd say this was a success!!!

Thats a sexy kettle

Thanks dude. This hobby is killing me!

I started out with a 2.5 gallon pot on my electric stove. Then I got tired of doing the ice bath thing, so I made a rib cage IC. Then I had to move it outside because my kitchen faucet didn't have a tap for the chiller. So I borrowed a turkey fryer and pot. I got used to doing full wort boils, but transferring the wort was a pain so I made this pot.

Now my burner is too small so I have to upgrade the burner. Fortunately with craft beer running $10 a six pack in GA, I can justify this hobby as a cost savings to the wife!!!

Kettle_kids.jpg

William

I used the same Bargain Fittings kit and put the o-ring on the inside. I really like it inside, and if you're still up for messing it with, that might be something to consider

I used the same Bargain Fittings kit and put the o-ring on the inside. I really like it inside, and if you're still up for messing it with, that might be something to consider

Just swapped it around, and I do like it on the inside better. I was concerned that it wouldn't seal well on a concave surface, but I'll give it a whirl and see how it runs tonight.

William

I have a direct fire BRUTUS system and the barginfittings o-rings hold up great, I've gone 2 years now without leaks or replacements! :rockin:

Latest posts

Back