Woo! Crossing to the dark side!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmulligan

Reaction score
I just scored a 9 gallon stainless steel brew pot ($70 including shipping!), and am modifying a 10 gallon IGLOO cooler this weekend for my first AG brew (an American wheat). Just wanted to show my huge appreciation and gratitude for all of the people on this forum that have inspired me, and answered my (probably) lame questions. This is the place that convinced me I could make good beer, and now I'm hooked.

:ban:
I look forward to participating in some swaps in the future so I can improve my brewing.

(Sorry if this is the wrong place to post the ecstatic holy-crap-I'm-going-all-grain post.)

Cool beans!:mug:

Trust me, it ain't hard. If I can do it, anyone can. Let us know how it goes for you. And remember, RDWHAHB!

Welcome to the addiction! I'm on my third AG brew. The process is so much cooler than extract - you feel like you're really making the beer the 'right' way. Extract brewing was sort of like making coffee. Plus - no 'twang'.

Score on the brewpot!

blacklab said:
Welcome to the addiction! I'm on my third AG brew. The process is so much cooler than extract - you feel like you're really making the beer the 'right' way. Extract brewing was sort of like making coffee. Plus - no 'twang'.

Score on the brewpot!

Seriously, "addiction" is the only way to describe it (but in that fun, not-wrecing-your-homelife kind of way!). I spend waaaay too much time on this forum, reading as many posts as I can, and all I want to do is plan my next brews!

And I am totally looking forward to no more extract (minus the occasional emergency DME addition). I've only made a few brews, and I can already recognize that permeating "twang."

I really like the involvement of the process (too many things aren't hands-on nowadays!), and then letting people taste it. Thanks for the encouragement.

Welcome to the dark side!! I am fixing to start my third all grain Friday, and can I tell you there is no turning back! My first all grain was a Belgian Wit and my wife can't get enough. She is actually encouraging me in this hobby/obsession! Good luck and remember the worst batch you have is still beer!

mind saying where you got a SS pot for that cost? i'm in dire need of something bigger which is not what she says. :)

i like obsession better than addiction ;)

i'm addicted to the beer i make. i'm obsessed with making it :D

Welcome to the dark side. i've done i think about 8 AG now. very rewarding :mug:

senorfartman said:
mind saying where you got a SS pot for that cost? i'm in dire need of something bigger which is not what she says. :)

eBay, my friends. Check it out, there may still be more on there. The 36 qt stainless steel pot I got was $60.50 plus like $9.50 in shipping. :rockin:

One vice at a time, man! And I like that obsession distinction... Addicts admit to having a problem and go to meetings to get better. We manage to have meetings to encourage the madness!

Welcome to the dark side!!!!

I think it's great that we've got some women into AG brewing. It seems like it's a natural progression of our brewing, doesn't it? Maybe someday we'll have enough women around to do an all-female beer swap! :rockin:

YooperBrew said:

I think it's great that we've got some women into AG brewing. It seems like it's a natural progression of our brewing, doesn't it? Maybe someday we'll have enough women around to do an all-female beer swap! :rockin:

I'm all for that! Now if someone would convince my dear husband to buy me that brewpot!
:rockin:

YooperBrew said:

THAT would be awesome! And it IS great that more women are cropping up, it will certainly makes regional brew days or meetups less intimidating to not be the only female (minus dragged along SWMBOs).

Hmmm...$70 for the pot...and $20 for the cooler from Sears mentioned in this post https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=53351

and a few parts from Lowes... I could be doing all grain for under $150!?!?!

Nah...it sounds to good to be true...mamma always said that if it sounded too good..it probably is...*sigh* :)

Damn...now I have to get the taxes done so I can the return check faster!

-JMW

JustMrWill said:
Hmmm...$70 for the pot...and $20 for the cooler from Sears mentioned in this post https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=53351

Nah...it sounds to good to be true...mamma always said that if it sounded too good..it probably is...*sigh* :)

-JMW

GO FOR IT! A hearty tax refund is the reason I'm switching over sooner than planned.

JustMrWill said:

-JMW

Now's the time! Home Depot (and Lowes, probably) have been clearing out their warm-weather inventory. I got my Turkey Fryer (including a 7.5 gallon pot) for $37, and my 10 gallon cooler for $39, plus probably under $20 for all the MLT conversion parts. This was all from Home Depot, except I had to go to Fastenal for the 5/8" washers.

Since I already had my carboys, buckets, and various accessories from my extract brewing, I'm moving up to AG for under $100 (before ingredients, of course).

I haven't gone all grain yet but I have all the stuff and I'm just waiting for the Maryland Big Brew Day so I can do it with some guidance.

chris.

CallMeZoot said:
Now's the time! Home Depot (and Lowes, probably) have been clearing out their warm-weather inventory. I got my Turkey Fryer (including a 7.5 gallon pot) for $37, and my 10 gallon cooler for $39, plus probably under $20 for all the MLT conversion parts. This was all from Home Depot, except I had to go to Fastenal for the 5/8" washers.

Since I already had my carboys, buckets, and various accessories from my extract brewing, I'm moving up to AG for under $100 (before ingredients, of course).

I haven't gone all grain yet but I have all the stuff and I'm just waiting for the Maryland Big Brew Day so I can do it with some guidance.

chris.

Boy this keeps sounding better and better!

Back