woking on an ipa recipe and have a few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatsack

Reaction score
im pretty new to brewing and im writing up my first recipe, so ive got a few questions. first off, im not too sure what yeast to use, right now im thinking about using Safale US-05, sound good? or is there something else i should try.
second, i was thinking about soaking some oak chips in some bourbon and tossin them in on the secondary.i figure i love ipas and i love bourbon, so may as well add the two together. ive never had an ipa with a hint of bourbon before, nor have i seen one. anyone had one before,and if so, what was it like.
is there a good way to control the bourbon taste?
thanks for any help
:rockin:

US-05 is a great all around yeast and excellent in IPAs. If you want a bourbon flavor, just add bourbon. You can add it at bottling, just dump it in the bottling bucket with your bottling sugar and beer. Do so in small aliquots so you can sample the results and add more if needed.

US-05 is a fine yeast for an IPA. Another I use often for IPAs is Nottingham.

Not sure about Bourbon or oak. I know a lot of people like that, but its not for me.

I would avoid bourbon and oak for your first recipe. You want to make something that is good and that you can refine over time, but you don't want to make it too complicated.

If you really want, you can maybe make a 6 gallon batch and add bourbon to one gallon. Getting the amount right can be tricky. The best way I've found to do something like this is to pour yourself a glass of beer that is similar. Start with a small amount and work up until you have the right flavor.

carne: thats what i was thinking, id like to do it, but should probably get a base before i start adding other things.

Back