WLP838 low attenuation on two beers in a row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Invertalon

Reaction score
EDIT: Sorry... I meant WLP833 (not 838 in the title).

Hey everyone,

Just used this yeast to do a Vienna and Munich Dunkel lager back to back. Both mashed at 153 and 150F and mash pH was right where I wanted around 5.2-5.3.

Pitched the proper yeast amounts via yeastycalc, about 2-3L starters. Fermentation took off quickly, within about 12hrs or so for both.

Thing is, the OG's of both were 1.053 and 1.057... Both finished at the same FG of 1.017... Attenuation of 67% and 69%, which left a little more residual sweetness then I was after.

Anybody have this type of attenuation with this yeast? For both, FG was checked days apart and held the same FG, even during the D-rest and everything, so I believe the yeast did finish all they were going to.

I really like this yeast though otherwise, very clean fermentation and very malty. Just a little sweeter then I was after. Does the yeast continue to chew on some sugars during the lager phase (seemed to be noted in some lager articles I have read), or will the sweetness remain?

Last edited:
My only experience with the yeast was a side by side fermentation with 833 at 48 degrees in the same batch of Munich Helles both beers finished out within .001-.002 of each other with a fg of 1.010 & .011
My buddy and I actually just took a silver & gold with our respective batches.

I wonder if it is this particular batch of yeast or something... Looks like 70-76% AA is typical for this strain.

How long did it take to hit FG for you, do you recall?

After about 5 days I start allowing the temp to climb to finish out (I think at that point already around 1.020). Would check again days later and was at 1.017, but it never moved from there even after a few days and swirling the fermenter a bit. Once it seemed completely done I start crashing it.

i don't know sorry. with that batch I let it do its thing for 2 weeks at 48-50 then did a diacetyl rest for a week then brought it back down to lager for a month or so.

Back