WLP830 Dark Color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBB

Grab me another beer please!
Reaction score
I ordered a variety of yeasts and received last week. They were WL yeasts and the 2 ale strains were creamy normal looking color, but the WLP830 was dark brown. Is that a normal color for a lager strain? This was still new in package, unopened.

I have had the yeast in the purepitch package turn light brown from beige and the liquid in it a garnet color during storage and before the expiration date and have pitched without a problem. But a starter is always a good idea and be sure to check the FG to make sure it fermented out.

I dont know what's up , but a few of us had WLP yeasts that were darker then normal . 2 of us used WLP400. I'm getting ready to keg it . So hopefully it's all good .

Just got a purepitch about a week ago, still is nice a creamy looking. Make a nice big starter.

20200427_200101.jpg

Here’s mine for comparison. View attachment 677611
That indeed looks rather dark for 2 month young yeast. Especially being in a Purepitch pack, which is supposed to only lose 3% viability per month for the first 3-6 months.

Regardless, you should always make a starter from liquid yeast packs. 80-100 billion cells is about half of what's recommended for Ales. Since it's a Lager, double the cell pitch of that of Ales.
BrewUnited's Yeast Calculator

I kegged my wit last night. There was no off taste and it hit the right FG of 1.009. Color of the beer was good as well . So it appears to be a non issue at this point .

Back