WLP810 question for baltic porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamburgeler

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently working on a recipe for a baltic porter that I am planning on brewing Sunday. I settled on using WLP810 because it will be easier to control the high range of that temp than other lager yeasts(power surge blew my fermentation chamber). I am struggling to figure out the right amount of yeast to pitch. I am targeting an OG of 1.086 for 5.5 gallons. Mr Malty and YeastCalc both agree on the amount of cells needed, but I can't figure out how to get there. I pitched 2 vials of yeast in a 1.8L starter last night on a stir plate and am planning on cold crashing until tomorrow night, then doing another 1.8 literish starter, but I cant figure out if that is enough. production date is 11-18-13 for both vials. Beersmith estimates that will be 316 billon cells of the 646 billion needed, even though the other two sites estimate that I need around 435 billion. Mr malty doesn't account for steps and yeastcalc doesn't account for multiple vials. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

V/r,
Hamburgeler

Thanks for the link hautlle! Do you know the appropriate pitching rate for a hybrid? Mr Malty and YeastCalc both show around 435 billion cells for this size brew, while BeerSmith and BrewersFriend show around 646 billion needed. First time with a hybrid...

Thanks,
Hamburgeler

I honestly don't know about lagers/common/hybrid yeasts pitching rates. I have yet to use anything other than ale yeasts. I'd say it depends how cool you want to ferment it, and how clean you want the finished beer to be. Go with a larger pitch for colder ferment/less ester production and a cleaner final product.

Mr Malty has the hybrid option, and you'll notice if you move from ale->hybrid->lager the number goes up proportionally. I'd probably just use the 435B recommendation from there.

Thanks again. Yes I know Mr malty has the hybrid option, but it doesn't account for steps. Yeast calc does, but it doesn't account for multiple vials. And brewers friend doesn't have the hybrid option, so it is a mixed bag all around.

Edited for spelling.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Home Brew mobile app

The only number you really need from Mr Malty/YeastCalc is the "# of yeast cells needed" - 430 billion in this case. That number is derived from your OG and batch volume numbers (5.5 gallons of 1.086 wort will require 430b hybrid yeast cells, while the same beer if using a lager yeast would require 643b vs 322b for an ale yeast).

You can adjust the brewers friend via the "Target Pitch Rate" field. Setting that field to "Pro Brewer 1.0" will make your pitching rate match the suggested cell count via YeastCalc/Mr Malty (431b). From there, just use your brewers friend results and you should be fine.

Back