Wlp670

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nattron

Reaction score
I was wanting to do a farmhouse ale and bought the WLP670 - after doing some research on the fermentation temp I noticed that there was brett in the blend. (Not that I am apposed to a sour I like them) what I am worried about is my equipment - does this mean I can not reuse any of the plastic with out rising infection?:confused:

Here is the WLP670 Description:
WLP670 American Farmhouse Blend
Inspired by local American brewers crafting semi-traditional Belgian-style ales. This blend creates a complex flavor profile with a moderate level of sourness. It consists of a traditional farmhouse yeast strain and Brettanomyces. Great yeast for farmhouse ales, Saisons, and other Belgian-inspired beers.
Attenuation: 75-82%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-72°F
(20-22°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: 5-10%

You may be able to get away with it for awhile, but to be safe, have separate plastic bits for clean batches and for sour batches.

As I learned this spring, you can get away with ones set of equipment until you can't. Although I lucked out and got a very tasty bretted oatmeal stout. 670's a good blend though and worth the new plastics.

If Brett is the only non-sach yeast in that blend, the beer will not be sour. I would assume it is the strain (can't remember which one right now) that gives off the "horse blanket and barnyard" hints to the beer.

When the beer is done, fill your fermenter up with a mild bleach solution (about 1 tablespoon of bleach per gallon), and put everything in the bucket to soak for a few days. Make sure your hoses are filled with the solution, especially where any tubing connects with the hoses.

After a few days, rinse everything with HOT water, and it should be good to go.

It is easier to dedicate a set of equipment, but with good sanitation practices, you should not have any problems.

Last summer mine went from 1.071 to 1.005 in two to three months and tasted good then. I set half aside and now at almost a year old it's delicious. It will be fine fresh, but the longer you can let it go the better it will get.

pohldogg said:
Last summer mine went from 1.071 to 1.005 in two to three months and tasted good then. I set half aside and now at almost a year old it's delicious. It will be fine fresh, but the longer you can let it go the better it will get.

Thank you

good point, I have done a few straight brett beers, but usually bacteria is going to be involved. That being said whether you are using sacc or brett plastic equipment should be routinely replaced.

My experience with this strain is that after almost a year it got a little tart. Not sour, but a nice tatrtness kind of like a fresh jolly pumpkin.

Latest posts

Back