Wlp644

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My APA with wlp644 seems to have stopped active fermentation just after 30 hours. I was wondering if anyone else had similar results. I'm going to pull a gravity reading when get home.

A little background on the yeast. I picked up two vials on Friday made a 1 litter yeast starter and put it on my stir plate. I started to get worried as I read everyone has their starter go for 7 days but I didn't have time. After 3 hours at 70 degrees I had foam and activity. About Sat evening foam dropped I had a yeast cake and gravity was at 1.014. Sunday morning I decanted some clear liquid off the top and added some more wort. Sunday evening I pitch the active yeast and within an hour I had fermentation. The air lock was bobbing and I felt good. Fast forward to this morning I have a large yeast cake on the bottom and very very little airlock activity. I roused the carboy before I left but it just seems like fermentation happened too fast.

20150731_180815.jpg

20150803_071757.jpg

Krausen may be down, and you may be down a big chunk of gravity points, but unless the beer is very low gravity it's unlikely to be finished. Just looking at your beer can tell you a lot about how fermentation is going- this beer is still very cloudy and turbid with yeast. That's a nice healthy krausen on there, indicating near-peak yeast activity. When was that last picture taken? What does it look like now? If the beer looked like that and had little airlock activity, then your airlock or bung are loose.

No that picture was taken Monday morning. I had a lot of air lock activity then. This is a recent picture. There is an occasional Bob from the airlock but not much and nothing like what I'm use to.
I just have had no experience using this yeast or brett for that matter so I don't know what to expect. Everyone said they had a long lag time then it picked up. I definitely didn't have a lag time but it seems like fermentation stalled. Oh current gravity is 1.026 OG was 1.049 and FG should be 1.007

20150804_222344.jpg

That's definitely still fermenting. Even those little bubbles on top indicate at least some offgassing. Give it some time, and if you're concerned, warm it up and rouse the yeast a bit. Peak fermentation may only last a day or two, but you are likely still getting solid gravity reduction going on now, it's just not generating enough movement or heat to make a big foamy krausen.

That is my favorite yeast for an APA and an IPA, but it is a suuuuuper slow fermentor. 3 weeks usually for it to finish for me @ 70F. Give it a while.

So my bad It was my first time using a refractometer so what I thought was 1.026 was actually 1.009 only 2 more points till terminal. So I think fermentation went a little too quick. Everyone was saying to ferment it warm but I think next time I'm going to just treat it like my Cal ale and start at 69 then give it a controlled rise. Just dry hopped today. Oh baby does is smell good. Pineapple and grapefruit bursting out of the airlock.

Back