WLP545 arrived HOT=???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chezhed

Reaction score
A shipment of goodies got delayed and on top of it, the shipper didn't pack the ice pack. My yeast just spent 4+ days on FedEx trucks in the South....to say nothing of the 6 hours yesterday on the 98 degree truck and 4 hours on my 100 degree porch.
And the yeast date is 6/24/14
Do I have any reasonable expectations for this yeast in a 2l starter for a 5 gallon batch in a 1.080 beer?

Your yeast will be in rough shape. I would make a half liter starter of 1.010 OG to start it out. Test the SG of of the starter wort after 24 hours on the stir plate or 1.5 days is using the shake and swirl method.

^ +1

Sad story.

During hot and cold seasons it is best to buy your liquid yeast locally. Or stock up during the seasons when temps are reasonably mellow all along the route from the place of order to your location. Make starters or slants if you want to store longer.

Even an ice pack or 2 is not going to last more than an hour or 2, and is probably at ambient temps already by the time it leaves the brew shop. They create a little bit of a buffer but nothing to withstand or counteract days in transit. Think about it.

Back