WLP400 starter - will low floctuation cause problems?s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axp

Reaction score
Hi all.

I am about to brew my first wit, using a vial of wlp400. I want to make a 2L starter so that I can get 2 batches out of one vial.

My usual method for starters is to let the fermentation go, and after its finished shove the starter in the fridge so as the yeast drops to the bottom. I then decant most of the spent wort/beer so as I have as little aerated old beer as possible.

My worry with this yeast is that as it is a low floctuating strain, even if I chill in the fridge a lot of yeast will still be in suspension. If I then decant the spent wort/beer I will loose a good portion of the yeast that I have propagated.

Have any of you guys made a starter with the wlp400? Has the yeast dropped significantly when you stick the starter in the fridge or was it still in suspension?

Are you brewing the 2 batches at the same time? If you are, I would think you could just make a larger starter and give it a little more time before dividing it into 2 starter batches.

If the 2 batches are going to be brewed at a week or more intervals, just wash your yeast and save it until your ready to brew your second batch.

Here is a great thread on washing yeast https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

I have the bottom of my fridge filled with different strains including wlp400.:rockin:

Good luck,

Bull

My main concern is that if I decant spent wort from the starter I will loose a good portion of yeast, as the strain has low floctuation. Is this so?

In your fridge you say that you've got some wlp400 starters. Is the liquid very clear, with a noticable layer of yeast sediment on the bottom or is the liquid cloudy with yeast still in suspension?

I washed the wlp400 approximatly 3 months ago following the proceedures in the above link.

Within 24 hours I had crystal clear liquid in my jars and about 3/8 inch of pure white yeast settled in the bottom.

Bull

Great. I have used the method described in the post you suggested before. It works well. I have only used it for high floc strains though. Wasn't sure whether for low floc strains you would get the same behaviour as it is supposed to stay in suspension longer.

Will definitely give it a try with the wlp400. Thanks for the replies

Back