Wlp400 fast fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobanon

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I brewed up a witbier last week using some lemongrass.

Mash:
5 lb 2-row
5 lb flaked wheat

I tried to mash low for a dry finish and ended up getting about ~148oF for the 60 minutes (got distracted and didnt check temp until the end of mash). I after the boil, I had an OG of about 1.038. I pitched the yeast next day (this past monday) at about 72oF ambient temp. Checked the gravity today (sunday, six days later) and it was at 1.010. Since Beersmith predicted 1.008 FG and I knew I had mash problems, I kegged it and am letting it sit at serving pressure in case it really isn't finished (I've read this yeast takes some rousing to fully attenuate so that's my thinking in letting it "finish" in the keg). I tasted my hydro sample too and it was delicious - tasted like the finished product as ive made it once before without lemongrass. Any idea why (if so) it fermented out so quickly? Most people's experience it takes about 3 weeks to ferment out so dry.

Back