Wlp300 should i shake the fermenter??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffstuff

Reaction score
Hi, I have a dilemma ! I pitched one vial of wlp 300 into 4 gallon hefeweizen wort .. OG was 1.052 .. I debated making a starter but I was worried about a violent fermentation ( first time all grain , got scared) ..
After 24 hours it bubbled nicely but after about 20 hours all airlock activity stopped ..gravity has dropped to 1.026 ,, I know the airlock activity means very little but if after another day it hasn't changed should I shake it to activate the yeast again ,,
Thanks for any help saving my first all grain attempt and saving my mind from the worry ,
Cheers

Also in still new but I know this is a fermentation / yeast question , still on to post it here??

WLP 300 will finish pretty fast at 70F. I usually pitch at 60, ferment at 62-62F and its the active/bubbly phase is usually over with in about 2-3 days. I'd say you're right on track at 70F although you might get some bubblegum flavors at that temp.

Ok thanks , I'll give it s few days and see, If the gravity stays high would you just leave it ??? Or swirl it s little , thinks for any help

And don't be afraid of starters - just make the right sized starter. Don't pitch two packets into a 2.5L starter and step it up twice to pitch into your 1.052... but use a pitching rate calculator and aim for something around the cell count you need.

Back