WLP051 Cali V Ale Yeast Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanofreak

Reaction score
So I have a starter of this going. I didn't research it too much prior to buying it. The 001 at the shop I was at had older dates on it, and this was a few week old vile. What I saw there said it was pretty similar, different attenuation rate, and I think fruitier. I figured I can run with that.

I made a 1L starter, got lazy and didnt brew today, so I stepped up the starter by decanting off, and adding another 1L of fluid.

This yeast smells really sulfury. After googling it, I see this is common. I am concerned about the effect on the final product, and not sure I am going to use this yeast at this point. Anyone have any advice on this yeast, or just the situation in general?

I am concerned that if I do not degas enough, this could follow into the bottle.

Thanks

I used this for a black IPA,I fermented it at 67 degrees.I got no sulfur odor or taste and took my 1.072 og down to 1.012.

This is practically our house strain, we love it! Yes, the fermentations can make your room smell like rotten eggs, but the beer will be great, with no hint of that in taste or aroma. Just control your temps as you normally would and have no fear. :mug:

On your starter remember that yeast concentration has a huge impact on the populations growth factor. Assuming the same starting point (1 vial), a 2L starter will yield almost twice the yeast as a 1L starter. Decanting a 1L starter and then adding fresh wort to that now increased population size will yield very little in additional population size.

On your starter remember that yeast concentration has a huge impact on the populations growth factor. Assuming the same starting point (1 vial), a 2L starter will yield almost twice the yeast as a 1L starter. Decanting a 1L starter and then adding fresh wort to that now increased population size will yield very little in additional population size.

Yeah, I wasnt sure what I was going to do with it to be honest, and the second starter was more about keeping it fresh and ready.

I have decided I am going to use it tonight, so I tossed it into another 2L starter this morning. This will make sure it is active tonight, and step it up a bit. It is only for a 3 gallon batch, so I imagine I am more than good to go on it. The vile was less than a month old when the first starter was made.

The one time I brewed with it, it was very sulfuric. Much like a lager yeast.
Came out very clean in the end. Just needs time.

I use that yeast in all my Pale Ales. It leaves a slightly sweet finish and doesn't push the hops in your face too much. I use the 001 in my IPA's, it does a better job at bringing the hops forward. I've never had an issue with the sulfur, the brew comes out clean.

I use this strain (1272) a lot for my American style beers. I find it to leave the beer a touch sweeter and a tiny bit more ester-y than 1056/001, and i really like the beers it makes. I've found it's a bit fruitier at warmer temps, and actually will accentuate the hops if you ferment it cooler (under ~64). The esters will stand out more than with something like 001, but it's a great strain for a clean, American IPA/pale ale.
I've never noticed any sulphur-y flavors/aromas in the beers I've made with this strain, it's a bit more aromatic during active fermentation than some strains, but nothing that carries over to the finished beer. I've noticed it can be stubborn to fall out after fermentation, so a few weeks in primary or racking to secondary after FG is stable may help knock the yeast out. Either way, it'll produce a clean tasting, bright looking, enjoyable brew.

I used this strain for my black IPA. I was fermenting it at 68-69F and it stopped at 1.022 which seemed to me that it dropped out early. I want it to drop atleast another 4 points but i dont know what to do. This is for a competition, and dont know if it has to be "too style"

This is practically our house strain, we love it! Yes, the fermentations can make your room smell like rotten eggs, but the beer will be great, with no hint of that in taste or aroma. Just control your temps as you normally would and have no fear. :mug:

Totally agree.

Wish I'd read this before I took my Lenten break from HBt. Used it on three batches in the period and found it fruity, slightly less attentive than 001, and fairly sulfury-smelling, just as reported. Thought I'd messed it up, but I really like the APAs I made with it. Not so much the Black IPA.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Fermenting cool like that should get you a nice, clean beer. Personally, I've found fermenting this strain cool like that is the way to go, the fruitiness will still be there, but more subtly. :mug:

+1. Much cleaner at that temp, but still has some more character than 001. It's a great yeast for a APA

+1. Much cleaner at that temp, but still has some more character than 001. It's a great yeast for a APA

Oh, for sure! I love what it does for a beer like APA/IPA. I used it in my Rye PA recently, and the yeast definitely made the beer great. It let the nice rye malt flavors come through, but the hops were still prominent and tasty. The fruitiness from the yeast was perfect for a light bodied, hoppy brew. This yeast and Bell's yeast (which is very similar) are my 'go to's' for APA/IPA. :mug:

Not really for an APA, but for this recipe. Was going to use 001, but the viles of it somehow were much older than viles of this when I was shopping.

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L Late
46% 4 0 Crisp Pale Ale Malt 34 3 ~
34% 3 0 Briess Bavarian Wheat DME 43 3 Y
11% 1 0 Weyermann Wheat Malt 34 5 ~
9% 0 12 Crisp Crystal Malt 45L 35 45 ~
Batch size: 5.0 gallons

hops
use time oz variety form aa
boil 60 mins 0.25 Sorachi Ace pellet 10.8
boil 20 mins 0.3 Sorachi Ace pellet 10.8
boil 15 mins 0.3 Sorachi Ace pellet 10.8