WLP029 Kolsch yeast high temp - am I screwed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpb2716

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Good evening everyone.

So I brewed Edwort's kolsch recipe yesterday. I used WLP029 kolsch yeast. Edwort suggested fermenting at 68 degrees, which is towards the top of the suggested temp range for this yeast, so I set up the fermentation chamber for 68 degrees. When I got home from work today I noticed that the chamber (I'm actually measuring the beer temp via thermowell) was up to 71 degrees.

So my question is, is this batch going to be screwed? Should I try to drop temp or keep it where it's at?

Thanks again guys.

You're fine. Ever hear of Brulosophy.com? They ran experiments with this yeast proving no difference in flavor regardless of low or high temperatures -- it is simply a very clean yeast no matter what. Expect great results.

You're fine. Ever hear of Brulosophy.com? They ran experiments with this yeast proving no difference in flavor regardless of low or high temperatures -- it is simply a very clean yeast no matter what. Expect great results.

That fantastic news. Thanks so much. You've calmed me down quite a bit. See, yesterday was my first all grain (BIAB) batch and everything went great. I was worried that the batch was ruined after this debacle.

Search for Brulosophy wlp029 fermentation temps. It's a very nice write up. FWIW I have also fermented with the same yeast at higher temps and have no yeast related off flavors

Search for Brulosophy wlp029 fermentation temps. It's a very nice write up. FWIW I have also fermented with the same yeast at higher temps and have no yeast related off flavors

Thanks for the responses guys. My fermentation temps are usually dead on. But this time of year it's right on the fine line of having my fermentation chamber in heat or cooling mode since it's located in the garage. Originally I had it in heat mode but the aggressive fermentation drove the beer temp up to 71. Last night i put the chamber on cooling mode on 68 degrees. The low temps in the garage overnight dropped the beer temp to 62. It's back on heat mode and is holding steady at 67 right now. Hopefully we're still ok.

Thanks again for your help!

All I found on brulosophy was a test between WL029 & WY2565 kolsch yeasts fermented in the same chamber @ 63F? Didn't see anything about higher temps?

For what it's worth, I brewed a beer with this yeast about 2 months ago. One morning I checked it and without noticing knocked my temp probe out of the freezer. The freezer kicked on and froze my beer all the way down to -2*F. I let the beer defrost and over the next few days it finished up spot on the estimated FG. The beer was the best Kolsch I ever made and the keg was tapped in under a week. Don't be so nervous about a degree or two in temperature.

Back