WLP006 - Charles Wells for American Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley_Bob

Reaction score
I used this yeast for a bitter a while ago, and it turned out well, although I found it somewhat over attenuated (which would have been fixable in a second iteration). Inspired by this effort, I decided to try it in an APA. It's attenuation is just a hair lower than WLP001 (72-80% vs 73-80%), and it leaves some interesting (but not so much fruity) esthers behind. White Labs lists it as a "2" for American Pale Ale, which isn't a huge vote of confidence for my effort. On the other hand, I occasionally hear talk of other English yeasts going into American Ales, so why not try?

A few weeks later, I'm happy to report the effort is a resounding success. The slight reduction in attentuation is apparent, but pleasant. The hint of sweetness and esthers blend with American hops to create a juicy and fruity aroma. It gives way, however, to the decidedly American bitterness. The beer departs with the uniquely "musty" character that I find typical of the yeast. If no one told me this was an English yeast (and I hadn't tried it before), I'm not sure I'd know I was being hoodwinked. This is a great combination.

What about everyone else? Success with this yeast or others? I've heard Stone Ruination uses WLP007 - Whitbread, obviously to great effect.

I use English yeasts all the time for American style ales. If the esters aren't over the top and you ferment on the lower side, the difference is slight as American hops tend to dominate the flavor profile anyway. Another added bonus is that English yeast tend to be more flocculant.

I've used both wlp002 and S-04 in American IPA's and have been very pleased with the results. 002 works really well in hop bombs because it still leaves some malt flavor to balance it out. I find S-04 works well in a west coast style IPA because it attenuates a little better, a touch of cane sugar never hurts either. The next yeast I'd like to try is wlp005

WLP013 London Ale is great in anything American. It was my house strain for a while, used it in everything.

I've used both wlp002 and S-04 in American IPA's and have been very pleased with the results. 002 works really well in hop bombs because it still leaves some malt flavor to balance it out. I find S-04 works well in a west coast style IPA because it attenuates a little better, a touch of cane sugar never hurts either. The next yeast I'd like to try is wlp005

002? That really surprises me. When you put it this way, I guess it makes sense, but it never occurred to me to try it. You'll have to let me know how WLP005 turns out.

WLP013 London Ale is great in anything American. It was my house strain for a while, used it in everything.

Wow, okay. What kind of character did you get from it?

I don't know if you guys realize it or not, but this information just is not out there, at least not in any single place. I'm really glad to get your insights.

I read somewhere it (or WY1028, same thing) is the house strain of Hopworks here in Portland, which I respect so I tried it for a while. Very clean and balanced every time I tried it. Doesn't sacrifice the malt flavor but also doesn't seem to mask the hops. Quite versatile like 001 but less boring. I guess just slightly fruity?

I read somewhere it (or WY1028, same thing) is the house strain of Hopworks here in Portland, which I respect so I tried it for a while. Very clean and balanced every time I tried it. Doesn't sacrifice the malt flavor but also doesn't seem to mask the hops. Quite versatile like 001 but less boring. I guess just slightly fruity?

Thanks for the info. I like 001, and I wouldn't call it boring... It is one of the most commonly used yeasts, though, so it comes up a lot. I really just like trying new things, and one element to play with is the yeast.

I did not know Hopworks uses that yeast. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I try one.

I believe Deschutes uses wyeast1187 as a house strain, and Redhook uses wyeast1968. So you can see how those perform with american ingredients as well.

I've done alot of APAs and IPAs with 006, I've also used 1318 (London ale iii)and 1187 (ringwood) quite a lot. I really like them all, for different reasons. 1318 gives nice pear esters and a soft almost candy-like finish, while 1187 has more of a general fruity character, great flocculation and lets more bitterness through. The 006 is a lot like 1187, with a more minerally character. Gets really clean at low temps without being chico-like. Be sure to aerate your wort well with these yeasts or they will stall in the 1.020 range.

You'll have to let me know how WLP005 turns out.

Drinking a red IPA right now I made using WLP005... have to say I really like it. Clean ester profile, good attenuation (77%), and great flocculation. It reminds me a lot of 002 but with better attenuation and doesn't mute hops. I've heard of butter bombs with this strain so I did an open fermentation, aerated with pure o2, and did a 4 week primary. No trace of diacetyl that I can detect. I think I found a new house strain. Cheers.

Drinking a red IPA right now I made using WLP005... have to say I really like it. Clean ester profile, good attenuation (77%), and great flocculation. It reminds me a lot of 002 but with better attenuation and doesn't mute hops. I've heard of butter bombs with this strain so I did an open fermentation, aerated with pure o2, and did a 4 week primary. No trace of diacetyl that I can detect. I think I found a new house strain. Cheers.

That's awesome. 77% attenuation gives you so much versatility. Thanks for sharing, and I'll have to give it a try. In other news, I have a feeling a dedicated yeast refrigerator is on my horizon.

Back