Wlp005

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwinzing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have two vials of White Labs British Ale Yeast WLP005

I am making a wheat stout and the yeast seems thicker than normal. I have used white labs bunches of times prior and I never saw it like this. Both vials are dated until May 30th so they are not expired. Any ideas?

I just opened my WLP005 yesterday and it was pretty chunky. I had to shake it hard and hit it against the counter to get it off of the bottom. Right now I have a starter going and it has been one of the most active yeasts I've used.

I wouldn't worry about them.

I just opened my WLP005 yesterday and it was pretty chunky. I had to shake it hard and hit it against the counter to get it off of the bottom. Right now I have a starter going and it has been one of the most active yeasts I've used.

I wouldn't worry about them.

+1 on this.

I've had WL thats come out damn easy and a few that I've had to smack with the palm of my hand to get it all out.

Here it is at about 28 hours on the stir plate.

Right when I turn the stir plate off:
DSC_4499.jpg

30 seconds after I turn the plate off:
DSC_4497.jpg

When I start the plate back up, it sticks together a lot like it did right out of the bottle.

Hope this helps,

Latest posts

Back