Slow start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HB2112

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using White Labs WLP005 and sometimes it's chugging away within 24 hours and sometimes it takes almost 48 hours. The only thing I could think of is the use by date was on August 7 and I brewed on the 16th. I used Imperial A01 House last time and it seems to always get going within 24 hours. I followed the directions as White Labs specifies slowly bring up to room temp before pitching. Wort was well aerated and mixed well with the yeast. Is this just how White Labs yeast acts? I usually use Imperial but the brewing supply place close to me doesn't carry it. I always get worried when things don't get bubbly after 24 hours. I'm I just being impatient?

A few thing to note.

If your sanitation is thorough, 48 hours isn’t a big deal. There’s no need to get stressed

If you’re pushing close to your best use by date, expect a slower start.

I’ve never used Imperial Yeast but as I understand, they have a much higher yeast cell count than white labs or wyeast. So by design, they should always start fast.

Nothing you described would get my worried if I were brewing at my place.

Liquid yeast=1-2L starter. This is rly important and give u best results. Additionally, the use-by date is extremely important for the quality of the beer.

Latest posts

Back