WLP005 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floodbrew

Reaction score
Brewed an 5 gallon extract based pumpkin ale last night (Saturday), OG 1.060. Pitched a WLP005 directly into wort at about 9:30pm as I have done with all of my White Labs yeast vials of various varieties in the past with great results and quick fermentation starts. This time I pitched a little higher temp than usual (around 77 degrees), but it cooled down to my basement's 71-72 degree temp by morning. Just checked on the airlock, and to my surprise there is no activity and not even a push of pressure on the water in the airlock. I took a quick peek in the top of my plastic fermenter and the wort is as calm as a mountain lake.

After reading some posts on WLP005 here in the forums, I am not about to stress too much on the slow start, but I'm coming up on 24 hours now. I would like to know if any other folks have had similar slow starts with this strain.

Please note that I am aware a starter is a smarter way to go. With that said, I didn't. Kind, constructive advice is welcomed. "Told ya so", not so much.:eek: But give me what ya got!

Please note that I am aware a starter is a smarter way to go. With that said, I didn't. Kind, constructive advice is welcomed. "Told ya so", not so much.:eek: But give me what ya got!

Looks like you kind of already know the answer to your question ;)

When you underpitch like that the lag time can be severely increased. It will probably take off, given more time. You may or may not have noticeable negative effects from the underpitching, but chances are it will turn out ok!

Thanks for takin' it easy on me! Senior brewer I am not, but 7 brews deep and all of my White Labs before this one have taken off like rockets without a starter and I always finish within a point or two of FG goals. All of them have started south of 1.060, so I figured I would be doing starters once I got in the high gravity zone. After this, I'll probably be doing a starter as a regular practice.

Did you check the date on the vial? Maybe this one was a little older, it will lose viability the older it is, so that could have been why it didn't work like the others

you underpitched. Sounds like you knew that though. It'll take off, give it time.

2 super fresh vials minimum for a 1.060 beer... or a starter!!

Thanks for the replies. The "best by" date on the vial is November and it traveled from Austin home brew with an icepack. I don't think that is the issue. Thinking underpitching is the culprit. All things considered I think it will eventually get moving but to protect my malt investment I will hit my local brew shop at lunch, buy an additional vial, and have it at the ready if needed.

Quick followup.. the yeast is beginning to do its thing... of course after buying the second vial of 005 and driving home on lunch. I'm still going to add it tonight and a given an update at the end. I see way too many newbie hit and run questions on this forum where they chime in panicking, get a ton of input, then disappear with no follow up.

Glad to hear it took off! Of course it had to wait till you bought a new vial, to punish you for underpitching it ;)

Be sure to do a long primary fermentation on the yeast cake. That strain is notorious for diacetyl, especially when underpitched and fermented warm like that.

If you're patient I think you'll end up with a great beer.

Yep the yeast sensed my stress and made me sweat it out!

Drinknoh2o.. pleas elaborate a little on your post if you don't mind. Should I omit plans for the secondary and just leave it in the primary before bottling?

Yep the yeast sensed my stress and made me sweat it out!

Drinknoh2o.. pleas elaborate a little on your post if you don't mind. Should I omit plans for the secondary and just leave it in the primary before bottling?

Secondaries are basically worthless. Just leave it in primary for at least 3 weeks then bottle.

You want the beer to stay in contact with the yeast cake for an extended period of time so the yeast can clean up off flavors (such as diacetyl) from the warm/underpitched fermentation.

Ive used the secondary for brews i am looking to clear up a little more and have when I needed to start a second batch right away with bottles ready.

Ill take your advice and let you know how it goes.

Secondaries are basically worthless. Just leave it in primary for at least 3 weeks then bottle.

You want the beer to stay in contact with the yeast cake for an extended period of time so the yeast can clean up off flavors (such as diacetyl) from the warm/underpitched fermentation.

I agree this strain likes to ferment at cooler temps (65-70). This is an excellent strain and will drop very well after it cleans up. I use this strain for my Traditional English Porter and my Smoked Pumpkin Porter (brewing this on Sunday). Definitely leave in primary for 21 days or more. My starter is already made, I will refresh it Thursday night since I will need to over pitch the Pumpkin Porter as the expected OG is 1.070.

I agree this strain likes to ferment at cooler temps (65-70). This is an excellent strain and will drop very well after it cleans up. I use this strain for my Traditional English Porter and my Smoked Pumpkin Porter (brewing this on Sunday). Definitely leave in primary for 21 days or more. My starter is already made, I will refresh it Thursday night since I will need to over pitch the Pumpkin Porter as the expected OG is 1.070.

Yes, this is a great strain and it floccs like a rock. It's only downside is it can create diacetyl. So long as you pitch below fermentation temp, and keep it between about 65 and 67 (wort, not ambient) you won't get any diacetyl.

Personally though I've found that I like WLP002 even better. Floccs even better, more attenuative in my experience, and milder esters.

Thanks for the continued advice, guys. airlock activity is slowing, so i just did a hyrometer reading at the 11 day mark. I'm down to 1.016, so I'm feelin' fine and will allow this brew to sit it out, drop a few more points and take care of itself. I added a ton of pumpkin to the recipe, so I'm certain there is a fair amount of unfermentables that will keep it from hitting a reading any lower than 1.012. Planning to bottle on the 29th.

Here's the update on this brew. All went very well. Finished at 1.014 and bottled with lactose on the 5th of October and cracking open the first one just before Halloween. Plenty of spice and the cream ale mouthfeel.. can't say how much pumpkin stands out but it was included in the annual Pumpkin Beer tasting we have at the house. 21 entries total and it rated middle of the pack.

Just brewed a Chimay Red dubbel for the holidays last Friday and it is still fermenting like a champ after going with a 1214 smack pack. OG was 1.069, so my highest gravity potential to date too. Good times!

Back